Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mulder

Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by An'Lyn, Dec 2, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. An'Lyn

An'Lyn New Member

Hello!

I don't know if this is the right part of the forum for this topic but I think you could help me in understanding something.

I wanted to become a captain since I was a kid as my father was/still is a VLCC/ULCC oil tankers captain and I was fascinated by ships from the beginning.
    I'am 25 now and because of some health problems ( all over now ) I was unable to study at the Merchant marine acadamy after high school. Now I would like to start but I'am not shure if I still have time or is it too late for me to study to become an officer as after I finish all the courses and stuff here ( BTW, I'am from Croatia ) I'll be 29-30 years old (I would start as 3rd mate on merchant/passengers vessels). I also thought about becoming a captain of a yacht or similar vessel (as I have been a yacht fan for years now) but as I read your posts many of you are younger that 30 and already captains of yachts, meaning you already have a steady career and years of experience behind you.
    So I was wondering if you could give me an advice regarding my age and if there still is hope for me to start working as an officer, than in the future (far future :) ) become a captain regardless of the vessel type (tanker, passenger, yacht) or should I think of something else?

Thank you for any interesting and clearifying reply...

Best regards,

Darian
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Darian,

I know this sounds like a simplistic response, but short of a career as a professional athlete... "It's never to late to pursue your dreams". Don't be dismayed by a younger man already achieving the position you desire. Take a more pro-active look at your situation... you have maturity on your side.

When I'm hiring someone, I'm not looking for the most credited or most experienced person. I'm looking for the most capable candidate, which is an all encompassing statement. Capable means many things, including... attitude, diligence and character. Show me someone willing to work... and I'll show them a paycheck.

The people I've met that are the most successful, are people who have failed, but picked themselves up and tired again. They are people who tried something new, even though their past experience was different from their future direction. Many of them got off to a late start in life, before creating great success, both financial and personal.

Godspeed and goodwill...
  3. Ibramar

Ibramar New Member

Just a Remark

They always says: "A hit doesn't kill me, it makes me more stronger".
    So simply past experience are a good reason to let's much more careful in our lifes & in our future choices.
  4. TRY

TRY Senior Member

MCA

Since these people now regulate most of the requirements it may be a good start to make a call to MCA in Southampton
    +44 2380 329 231.
    I'm sure they'll put you a a right track.
    Success!
  5. ST101

ST101 New Member

OK... then how about this?

1994 sold my business, got a divorce and bought a 36' regal in '96.

3 years ago, I was still single - bought a boat in January, met a beautiful woman in March. picked up my boat in May, and married Christine in October. My intention - buying the boat - was to live on it summer months and in the appartment over my office winters. - Pay no taxes, mow no more yards and move on if I didn't like the neighbors.

Now I own a house way too far from blue water - the economy sucks, my 35' Carver Montego is for sale but I'd really rather be using it somewhere.

Business has been so bad I only used the boat 2 times this year before put up.

Would love to take it to TX or FL or somewhere there's blue water and no snow and try to make some money using it. Diving, underwater photo, above the water photo, fishing, charter?????

Any one got any good advice for a guy who is a hard worker to take his talents and put them to work doin something he reallly likes in a geographic area where there's an economy? :confused: