Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Is all design discussion like this?

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Opcn, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I've looked through about half of the threads in this forum, and they seem to mostly focus on external styling and performance, but not as much on internal layout. A few discussion have touched on stateroom layout and headroom and the like, but I'm not seeing much of a discussion on issues like the openness of the pilot house, the benefits of certain kitchen layouts,the positioning of equipment lockers on deck, alternative uses of a formal dining area, etc.; is that simply a product of the small size of this forum/section or am I missing some more important issue due to my naiveté.

Thanks.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Opcn,
    Pretty simple answer, most of us don't LIVE in the accommodation. We may design it, make it , look after it, engineer it but we don't live in it; on bigger boats.

On our own boats normally form follows function, then the girlfriend/wife adds luxuries such as curtains, cushions, a cooker (apparrently poptarts with a blowtorch is not a proper breakfast) or even a head.

Its all very personal as to how you live your life afloat. We all know how to do it our way but is it the same as yours?

Fish :)
  3. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

That doesn't seem to jive with what else is going on in the world though. If you look through this forum, no its not on interior decorating, but it isn't on boats where a blowtorch is the regular cooking facility either. Archetects and designers on dry land have to be familiar with issues like those I listed, so that they can help steer clients towards a sucessful solution to meet their personal lifestyles.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Opcn,

I spent almost 20 years trying to get some idea of what Owners and Designers want to do to the interior of a boat and still they will not listen.

You can maneuver them towards an almost silent Aircon outlet but then they want some stupid goldplated seashell-shaped ones that will whistle all night. They will buy tall wafer thin champagne glasses and wonder why they fall over and break.

I have added to the practicality of many Superyachts but still the 'blowtorch' mentality is there in a slightly more elegant way. It works.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Of course there could be discussions on interiors, but it isn´t as simple as with land based architecture. Here you have two groups of people that should live together without friction and you have both safety and security concerns. Add to this the personal ideas of an owner, perhaps also of the captain and what will match the exterior, you will find that what is good on one yacht isn´t on another. But all designs can be better, much better, which is the fun and the challenge. Compare it to music, the perfect song doesn´t exist...:)
  6. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

This was at the heart of my thought, it is complicated, and we shouldn't expect it to be intuitive for designers or perspective owners, which is why I would expect discussion on the subject.
  7. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Maybe there just aren't enough interior designers on here to have a meaningful discussion on interior design ?
    Or maybe the term 'interior design' is too broad a subject.
    What would you like to see discussed...the overall layout, or the dressing of each area ? Both could be filed under the heading of 'interior design'.
    If there were some actual interior designers on here it could be interesting to read of their frustrations and battles with the naval architects and stylists on one side and the clients on the other.
    My various encounters with 'interior desecrators' (I use the term endearingly, I promise) have revealed a basic dislike of boats, or more accurately, a basic dislike of things that are boat shaped. Adding to their limitations of scope and free reign with fixed structure and exterior styling requirements just waters down their creative juices even more.
    The best ones are able to work with the naval architect, stylist, structural / systems engineers and clients at a similar pace, with a similar ability to compromise and have a similar ultimate vision. They can work within weight and cost budgets, they can create masterpieces working with, not against, the grain of overall design.
    The worst ones ignore the fact that the lower deck plan does not have the same width as the sheer in plan, ignore weight restrictions, ignore structural and system requirements, and would redesign the hull and exterior to suit their input if they were not roped in, hauled back and given a slap. Then in a fit of pique they declare to the client that their aesthetic ideal has been ruined by the inflexible attitude of the other parties in the project. Nothing like the realisation that the lower accommodation en-suites are actually three feet outside of the hull to numb an interior designers autocratic push toward their feng shui ideal.
    :) Discuss.
  8. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Discuss?

Are you mad? There are only so many Gigabytes available. It would take IBM years to sort out that little chat.

Fish :eek:
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You'll find plenty of discussion on interior spaces if you use the key word "Crewquarters". Other than that marine professionals have precious little say. The interior designers move from houses to condos and then (reluctantly and with resentment or so it seems) to yachts (What do you mean this 200lb sculpture won't stay on the wall when you hit a 6' wave? Don't hit waves.:rolleyes: ).
  10. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

In my world, crew accommodation is enjoying a whole new focus. A major consideration for 2009 and beyond, rather than the afterthoughts and dismissiveness of the past. The cynical would claim that the term 'unacceptable' that for so long fell on deaf ears has been replaced with 'added re-sale value'. The more forward thinking would suggest good crew are hard to find and that a comfortable crew stick around longer. Either way, its one of the more positive trends that influence yacht design to emerge recently.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's so good to hear. You've got to figure that when your crew could have a decent job with a 1,000 sq. ft. house and a nice restaurant, a bar and a 7-11 on the corner you'd best treat him well if you don't want to make your own bed.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ed,

How many years did you serve on an US Navy carrier. The best PX I've ever seen was on one.
  13. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) Now there's a good challenge for an interior designer.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey, I'm just describing life for the girl who butters my morning bagel. Oh and I forgot, she has a gym membership, a car, gets her nails done and can date any night she wants. Now what are they planning for Captain's quarters.:D
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Interiors are so Owner specific and seen by a fraction of those who can see the exterior it would be hard to discuss the Interior of many yachts without violating contracts most Crew and Owners Reps have to sign to not disclose, discuss or benefit from any info or gossip they come across concerning the Owner or his accosiates this would definitely cover the interiors of these very private vessels ( I am not talking about the production run here where you can select the interior by ticking an option list, but the bespoke individual larger ones out there)
  16. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Erm...some of mine had carpets (am I covered for that one?).
  17. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Boats sell from the outside in.
    The rest is just details. :)
  18. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Dry land interiors are owner specific too, but they are discussed. Interior decorators are not what I was thinking about. I'm a function person, so don't really put a lot of thought into which shade of taupe works best with that lithograph of Paul McCartney dressed as a lemon.
  19. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Blowtorch, they work SOoo well together. Its the 'in' thing.
  20. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Very difficult to make soup with nothing but a skewer and a blowtorch.