Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

IR Temp Locations

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by mliemon2, Jan 17, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mliemon2

mliemon2 New Member

First post here, long time reader.

I just got a new (to me) 2008 Grand Banks EU 47 Heritage with twin Cummins QSC 8.3 550 HP engines, and would like to be monitoring the temps with an IR gun, but after a few hours of scrolling sites, have yet to find a good list of locations to monitor. A few questions:
    • Whats the best areas specifically to monitor temps with the IR gun and log? Here's what I have so far, any other areas people recommend?
      • Raw Water Intake - Before Sea Strainer
      • Heat Exchanger - Raw Water In
      • Heat Exchanger - Raw Water out
      • Thermostat Housing
      • Turbo Housing
      • Wet Side of the Exhaust Elbow
    • Is it worth monitoring the generator as well?
    • Any other non-engine areas people monitor?

Thank you for the help!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What are you planning on monitoring these temps for and how often?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unless you're chasing a specific problem it sounds like you're making unnecessary work for yourself unless you're just looking to log baselines for the future.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In doubt I just verify the accuracy of the gauge by shooting at the hottest point, usually the Tstat housing, or next to the temp sender

I really don’t see why you would want to take reading at the strainer

While having baselines can be useful, you can also drive yourself nuts trying to chase a few degrees variations...
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I think it's fine to check these temps from time to time while running just as a general component of your ER inspection process, but if you install pyrometer gauges for your exhaust you'll see when there is a problem that needs to be tracked down. I use a thermal gun in that manner, just as a component of a system check, but if there's an issue that I might find by relying on it, I'm likely too late to head off an issue.

The heat gun is very useful when you already know there is a problem in terms of identifying the most likely location of a blockage or failure.