Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Intracoastal: Stuart to Jacksonville. How long?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Punisherzx12r, Apr 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

New to me boat, 52 Cabo Express, heading from Stuart FL to MD, plan is

ICW from Stuart to Jacksonville

Outside from JAcksonville to Charleston

ICW from Charleston to the Chesapeake Bay and home

I have been given different opinions on the ICW through florida, main concern is all the no wake zones and that it will take forever. I also hear that most of the no wake zones are lifted after march for the Mantatee. So my first question is how long will it really take if i run 28 knots when i can?

I have the electronics in the boat, navionics on the phone and Aqua Map Master on an Ipad, i think i have the navigation pretty well covered but i don't want to spend 12 hours in the ditch getting to jacksonville.

I would like to run the ICW first just because its a new to me boat and for some sight seeing.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Stuart to Jacksonville, 238 nm. You are very likely to spend 12 hours or more in the ditch getting to Jacksonville. We don't normally run the ditch so others may chime in with experiences more relevant to you. The waterway is narrow and the channel even more so. Many docks and marinas plus the bridges. Fishermen and slower boats. Can be heavy traffic. Some will depend on day of week and amount of traffic.

I understand you wanting to start in the ICW. I also understand you wanting to head outside from Jacksonville. I don't understand your desire to run the ICW from Charleston to the Chesapeake since you seem to be in a hurry. We would run outside from Charleston to Beaufort and then from there inside to the Chesapeake.
  3. Punisherzx12r

Punisherzx12r Member

I'm not so much in a hurry, i just tried to break the trip into four 8 to 10 hour runs...after some warning about the ICW in florida being very slow i would have to adjust
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

The ICW has slow sections everywhere. Everywhere. If you're really in a hurry, and if weather cooperates... especially if there aren't any weather delays... outside is faster.

-Chris
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

238 nm in 12 hours is averaging 20 knots. I think that is optimistic on the ICW anywhere. If you don't slow down as you get to Jacksonville and carefully see where you are and how to go, you'll be running 0 knots. The ICW on that route is actually one of the better stretches you'll find for running a decent speed, but not going to run 28 knots the entire way or average that. A nice 8 to 10 hour run from Stuart on the ICW will put you between Daytona and St. Augustine.

As we normally run outside, there are those who run the ICW more than we do who possibly will speak up. For instance, delivery captains when it's too rough to go outside.
  6. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Back in late February I ran from Hilton Head to Stuart. The run from Jacksonville to Stuart is no where near as congested and slow as the run from Palm Beach to Miami. On the run from PB to Miami I resigned myself to slow speed minimum wake. I wonder if that is what your are hearing about. That won’t be the case from Jacksonville to Stuart. Running outside weather permitting I run about 22-23knots. In the ICW I usually average 15 knots. So you could adapt that ratio to your cruise of 28 knots. Between Stuart and mosquito lagoon you will be on plane quite a bit. Just before New Smyrna there is a long no wake zone. New Smyrna to Jacksonville will not be as fast and there is another long no wake zone around Palm City (??). As I have aged I have grown tired of the long 8-12 hour runs but usually it is just me and the wife and I end up getting glued to the flybridge with some breaks but my wife prefers me to be up there. So if you have others who are comfortable and you are comfortable with them running the boat in the ICW then it may not be so taxing for you. After all of the preamble I think in a very long day you could make it with your speed but I would split it up some. Be very careful just before The St. Marys River the marks were not right and the channel was not intuitive. have fun
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Punisherzx12r likes this.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is the Palm Valley ditch.

The StMarys inlet and Cumberland Sound can be confusing. You have international markers for the KingsBay Sub base and the US Inland markers overlapping each other a bit and splits near the Sub base.
    Your also surrounded by intimidating sand & mud bars.
    Dredge equipment & lines are constantly in use and moving about as you could understand for a marsh fed sub base.

If not prepared and ready, you can get confused in a hurry. Then a lil gun boat comes up asking all kinds of questions in lots of different languages.
  8. motoryachtlover

I was wrong when I said St Marys. I meant St Johns. Sorry about that. To reempasize right before the St Johns heading north was not marked correctly back in February and was not intuitive. I could maybe screen shot a picture if I can figure that out.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During our trips and deliveries up / down FL. We always tried to run straight and offshore.
    Turning for 10 kts, it's 21 hours from Sunset Bay to Mayport Morningstar.
    Set your AP, Drag a couple of medium spoons off the stern and rotate the watch every 2 - 3 hours.
    Overlap your watch crew to make coffee, snacks and chat a bit before retiring the previous watch member.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Dredge ops going on from Mayport to Tallyrand terminals in Jax. Markers are missing, relocated and updated.
    I recall a NLM that stated a day board range has been discontinued and AIS targets replacing some of the offshore channel markers also.
    As a lifetime of traveling thru there, I would not dare going thru there at night rite now. The scenery changes daily.
    At the ICW and the StJohns, What a mess.
    ICW north, If you survived the missing river cans or gun boats in front of BAE, there is a new bridge.
    ICW south has a new jetty, rip-rap to the west and a channel that changes weekely. Since the USACE has redesigned this area, the currents have been trying to put nature back in charge.
    Another day time only passage with depth sounder/scope until the USACE and nature come to some agreement. Day markers here change often here also.
  11. motoryachtlover

Yes it was a mess. I recommend slow off plane running through there with an eye on the depth finder.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is good news on the StJohns. The dredge watch will answer all radio calls quickly and kindly.
    Easy to understand instructions with a smile.
    Just give then a marker number, what you look like and where you want to go.
    Very helpful and courteous.

What I have done a couple of times, Just follow one of the ships or tugs.
    Without AIS, tell the pilot your following what your doing and where your going, then everybody will know.
    Were blessed with a world of cool and helpful professionals up here on the StJohns / Jax area.
    Just remember, they can not read your mind.
    Troy Pugh likes this.
  13. Kevin Panzino

Kevin Panzino New Member

Just did a similar trip. Stuart, to Amelia Island, all ICW. 53' Hatteras, with a starboard engine that wanted to overheat past 1,500 RPM. Cruised mostly right around 9 knots give or take.
    Departed Stuart around 13:00 on Tuesday. Made Melbourne around 21:00. This leg was a great trip and very pleasant.
    Departed Melbourne Wednesday around 08:30. Made Daytona Beach Harbor around 16:00. Another very pleasant run.
    Departed Daytona Beach Harbor around 6:30, Made Amelia Island at 18:30. NOT a pleasant run AT ALL !!!! From about Ormond by the Sea to Marineland very narrow, with crab pots everywhere making it even more narrow, slow trolling sailboats, passing is often tricky, folks on their docks yelling at you because your throwing too much wake, meanwhile only doing 6 knots...( 53" hatteras does throw water though, I will say). If I had to do it again, I would jump outside at New Smyrna Beach, then back in at Rattlesnake Island.
  14. motoryachtlover

OP also factor in that in February it was cold when I made that run which kept small boat traffic down. So with it being spring and warmer you may have more boats to slow down for.