Click for Stats Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Llebroc Click for JetForums

interior finish on a Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Beau, May 8, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

So folks, help me out. What type of finish was applied to my 1998 Post interior teak? I thinks its more than varnish....
  2. Davidoc

Davidoc Member

Here is an actual response from Post from back in the day. Mine is a 91 but I believe they stayed with this program for a number of years after that.

Stained Pilot Houses, Doors & Drawers are McCloskey's Tungseal, Walnut Penetrating Wood Stain or Dupont Barnwood Stain ##1045C.

Exterior - - - Bridge Parts & Moulding around shelter are Teak finished with Dolfinite#110 Spar Varnish.

Teak treated with Tip-Top Teak (or equal) Mfg. by Tripple T. Enterprises, Inc., Palm Gardens Fla.

Engine room - - Interlux #289 Miami Tan & 50% Z-Spar #105

Boot Stripe - - Awl Grip Colors to Suit from chart

Teak Interiors are sealed with Interlux sanding Sealer #X9297 then finished with #60 Interlux Rubbed Varnish

David O'Connor

3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks Davidoc. My interior is a high gloss finish with a very hard surface. I suspect it is not a varnish....
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Member

Hopefully someone has a Post manual that may specify. Post and Viking used many similar things back then. I wouldn't be surprised if it matches Viking, if you can track it down that way.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have all the manuals, unfortunately I can't find any spec on it. I may just have the marina's refinisher stop by and give me his opinion....
  6. sigarn

sigarn New Member

I think you will find that most interiors in modern day boats are a 2 part urethane system that's sprayed on. There are a number of commercial brands they use but hard to buy as an individual.
  7. sigarn

sigarn New Member

Heres an example of the type of product I am referring to for interior finish that the builders use.

DuPont™ 18320S™ & 18321S™
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

That was my suspicion...
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I bought my 1998 baby when it was a little over 2 years old out of CT . My family has had a great ride with this vessel, but after a while you can't help but develop a nick or two here and there. I'd like to fair those away?
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

This might be helpful.

below was cut and pasted from a 1988 46' Post owners book:
    The book appears as though some of the info is for older 43 and 46 Posts's.
    The book does not reference the 50 Post. I am not sure when the 50 started production.

FROM BOOK:

" Paint 43' and 46' "

Entire Exterior of boat is Interlux Exterior Gloss White #87, Mixed W/Ivory Interlux#224 (approx 8 oz/Gal.) to match Gelcoat.

Inside Colors are tinted using the Z-spar Gloss#100. Wood finished with Interlux#60 Rubbed effect Varnish.

Stained Pilot Houses, Doors & Drawers are McCloskey's Tungseal, Walnut Penetrating Wood Stain or Dupont Barnwood Stain ##1045C.

Exterior - - - Bridge Parts & Moulding around shelter are Teak finished with Dolfinite#110 Spar Varnish.

Teak treated with Tip-Top Teak (or equal) Mfg. by Tripple T. Enterprises, Inc., Palm Gardens Fla.

Engine room - - Interlux #289 Miami Tan & 50% Z-Spar #105

Boot Stripe - - Awl Grip Colors to Suit from chart

Teak Interiors are sealed with Interlux sanding Sealer #X9297 then finished with #60 Interlux Rubbed Varnish
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thx RT. Production of the 50 started in 1989. Definitely a high gloss finish. And I'm almost certain it's a 2 part something or other. Too hard to be varnish