Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Interior cabinetry and parts for 1973 Viking 33 Sportfish

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Logic444, Feb 12, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

The inside is gutted but has wooden construction that's been started. However, it is missing the fridge, counter tops, drawers, cabin seat/cushing and pretty much everything interior wise. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can find these interior parts and also flybridge cushings stuff and outside parts I would appreciate it.

Here are some pics so see what exactly is needed.

Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture5.PNG
  2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Holy Crap! Really? Logic...welcome to YF. Now...you need to start with getting the systems and engines right.....that will take more time than you realize....now get a grip...it's a 1973 model...I was a freshman in high school in 1973. You're going to have to fabricate EVERYTHING as far as interior. I wish you the very best of luck...I have a small inkling that your going to need it. And I'm going to just take a shot in the dark and bet that you didn't get the boat surveyed prior to writing a check for her? You want to get pointed in the right direction? There's a real dive bar on A1A, across the street from West Marine that has real cheap drinks...I'm guessin' yer gonna need a few drinks from time to time.
  3. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi,

Now you should only worry about making sure your boat is sea worthy and you engines are running back in shape. Then you will have to check what electronics and gauges you need for basic monitoring and operation.

Regarding the interior, and fit-and-finish, most probably you will have to fabricate all that as stated by NEO56, if the layout is in its original form, you might be lucky in finding secondhand cushions and such advertised for on the Internet, for now, I see you can do with anything you may even find in a thrift shop, not even marine grade, put them out when you need them, store them in when not in use. Yes it is a hassle, but until you have running engines, operating electronics, tanks, wiring, hoses, etc. etc. everything else is merely cosmetic.

What you have in your hands is called a "project boat", so you should start from the very beginning with us here, no one has the right now to tell you that you made a wrong decision, we can't tell, and since you paid for it, it is yours and we can only help you get your experience better from now on. So, tell us, did you get it out of the water and checked the bottom and the running gear? Did you check the tanks and hoses? Did you check the batteries, panels and wiring? Did you check the bilge and thru-hull fittings? Having the interior gutted is a vantage point for you, you have more access to things otherwise you'd be taking the boat apart to find. Fill us up on the case and you will find many around here that have a lot to give forward ad assist with.

Now, back to the interior, measure everything for reference, you can even make your own templates using cardboard, I can tell you more about this if you want. Then you can start a thread for lets say galley fitting to ask about materials and finishes, another for lighting, what will give your the best lighting for the least power draw. You will also be told what you can do on your own, and where you need a professional to do for you, especially when the matter can pose hazards or inflict damage or injuries. To me, a project boat is lots of fun, and I might be admitting this for the first time here, I have "few" project boats in store, some I did work on, and all I didn't have time in past to work on or complete.

For the fridge, again, check the cutout opening, know what electrical you have ready there, 12vDC or 120v AC, then shop around the Internet for new or used. The counter top can be as easy as an MDF board cut to size and fitted then coated with special material that would imitate any stone you want, (search for counter top refinish here on the forums and you will find lots of good info), or can be any wood backing with tile, stone, wood, stainless, corian, etc. The good thing is you can modify few things at this stage, and this is a good advantage. For drawers, make a cardboard template, choose the slides, then solid wood, veneers, painted MDF, etc. you can build scrap wood from your template to check for fit and finish, then take it to a cabinet maker with your chosen material and have it built, that is if you couldn't find something ready from another donor boat. Again, finish what is important because you can't cut so much cost, these stuff you can easily play with to your advantage, and when you have a financial limitation for certain things, be sure to mention that, is not an issue and you will get the best advise there is from everyone around here, don't doubt that.

You need to set your order of work by priorities, since money and time are involved, both has to be spent wisely or you will loose passion and drive fast. All boats are money pits, but the reward in my opinion is priceless. Stock on the beer cause you'll need lots of it sitting and thinking things over. ;)

Sorry if you find this too long or not what you wanted to hear, this is my view and I post it with an open heart. Best of luck on your adventure.

Cheers,

Alf
  4. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

Neo yes I agree, the motors is where I started. The interior is basically last on my to do list and no I did my own survey based on my knowledge of boats I have owned, I have owned 3 in the past and still have the 3rd one apart from the Viking. In those past boats I have rewired and replaced thru fittings and so much more so i think I'm doing ok so far. I have done very well in the past picking out boats with good motors to match. I have been fortunate to have been able to enjoy each boat for a few years put a little money into them and sell them for a profit. I have to say it was a little intimidating to get into a larger boat especially a yacht this year. however the interior was gutted and there was nothing to I coudnt survey myself. I did take pictures and look at the tanks which are new like as i mentioned (photos added), the hoses are flexible too and not stiff and dried out. The bilges are working and the thru fittings as I did run the bilges to be sure it was operable. Since everything is exposed I was able to get a good look around. I did get my hands dirty and inspect and did the required research and had a mechanic on the phone giving me some pointers as to what to look for mechanical wise.

The best part of owning a boat is working on it and enjoying it afterwards i find this very rewarding as with most YF goers, atleast in my book thats how I enjoy myself. I can see myself at the boat slip with operable motors giving her a buff and slowly bring her interior back and adding a flat screen a fold out sofa and PS3 for my kids to enjoy. I hope to have this beaut visit Bimini or further one day just a few times and I will have reached my goal. Mostly she'll be my serious offshore fisher in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and something my kids can enjoy with me, they love the water.

All boats are money pits:

I have to disagree with you here Neo. I havent found that to be true though I have heard horror stories but these are people who dont have a thumb for boats or havent done the proper research before purchasing, I have spent on each one so far nothing in the thousands or even a thousand! I visit the boat fleamarkets and shows when they come around and shop there. I would describe it as an investment rather than money pit, this is just how i view it. Basically, I have a 4 year old boy and a 8 year old girl (girl high functioning Autistic) and have been showing them what life on the water is about the fishing, swimming and so forth. So it's basically a way a life I am instilling into my kids as my dad did with me.

CAM00059.jpg CAM00071.jpg Capture7.PNG

Thank you for you input Neo.

Anyone know what size gallon tanks these are?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

THAT is as uncommon as a Unicorn !
    Good luck with the re-build. Those Vikings are nice looking boats.
  6. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

It always works out if you can negotiate a good purchase price and do a little investment into it and know what your getting into to.
  7. Capt kev

Capt kev New Member

Everyone is different, you got what I love, a project boat. In the boating world, you have to be rich or mechanical. I have successfully finished several boats & starting a 44 viking. The beauty of the project is you make it yours, custom redo that baby.
    Have fun with it.
  8. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

I'm definitely dedicated... so it's the gratification and process of restoring i love about it. Can you share pics of your current project?
  9. Capt kev

Capt kev New Member

image.jpg Here is an exterior shot, she's a 1 of a kind the previous owner started from the hull up with a reconfiguration, very unique. He died in the process & now the interior needs to be completed. I will send interior pics next week.
  10. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

That's a nice one you got there, kinda reminds me of what i got going on with mine. This week i tow the Viking out of the sellers marina to another marina where she'll stay put until i can do some work on the motors. I will be towing her with a 22ft, i need to check weather and current conditions. I can easily lose control of her not to mention the insurance I need to add. All new to me.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just get a seatow membership, or arrange a tow......it's not that expensive if you pre-arrange it ahead of time....towing a 33' in and out of marina's is intimidating
  12. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

I'm with captain J on this, you are towing a larger boat, so a pro tow is the safest option for your vessels and other on the same waters.

In case you just wanna go for it, you have to know that there different techniques for towing between confined and open waters; when in confined or busy waters, towing along side is the way to go about it, you will need lots of fenders, good lines that are tied correctly to distribute the load on all point, in any way you tow you will need someone on the boat to help you steer, you have to agree on how you will communicate by hand signals, and have a base plan, backup plan and an emergency plan, the lines should be ready to go off as fast as possible if you need to ditch the tow, no use of crashing two boats! Once you are in more open and waters with less traffic, you change to a a tow bridle, again distributing the load on both boats, the same person following your directions and helping you steer, and here an observer would be of an added benefit. Beware that lines can break and spring off, waves and passing boats wake can add to the strain and tension of the tow line, so again, base plan, backup plan and emergency plan(s). Check if your insurer will allow you to do the tow, I think they might since legally it i your boat and not a hired tow, but this i just a presumption. See what you wanna do and lets see if we can offer any useful help.

Good luck.
  13. Logic444

Logic444 New Member

I am glad you mentioned the hand signals because I literally was gonna yell out the commands to the other driver and helping hands onboard... lol

Ditch my baby, seems harsh but ok.

I am going to postpone this tow for another week, this will allow me to plan better and to prepare the tow with the proper people and allow for me to prepare for any cost of tow surprises that I may have not anticipated. I am aware that SeaTow will tow the vessel from port to port but the vessel has to be running before signing up for their service and also I have another boat I can use to sign up with as the second vessel is free (loop hole). However, I am not using either vessel as I am busy at this time. I am going to hold off on the move for the moment and think it over further. Should I sign up with Seatow and let them do the move? Eitherway I have to wait 30 days for it to become activated, I need to move the vessel within 2 weeks max.

My dilemma, the tow boat I own which is my recreational boat not an actual tow boat is located in FT Lauderdale this means I have to rent a trailer and take it out of dry storage then meet up with the Vessel only to tow it which is causing added expenses. Your thoughts on this appreciated.
  14. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Not only hand signals, you will need all communication means you can get your hands on, even a cheap walkie-talkie (Along side a working VHF unit of any type, but the W-T is for comm with crew), a pilot chart for both ports, a chart (or more depending on area and distance), and a plan discussion with your crew going over which means of comm you will use first, when you tell it has failed, how will you give orders, receive information and acknowledge them, what lines, knots and hitches to use, what are the safety procedures, who will monitor emergency channel and other channels depending on where you will operate, what safety gear you will be taking with you, how is the weather going (forecast and during the tow), and I'm sure something is still missing in the list. Like navigation lights in case something happened and you had to stay beyond sundown, (God forbid, grounding, tow vessel failure, too much traffic to pass a certain point, you get the picture), food, water and fuel, lots of fenders, safety gear and something to cut the ropes loose if #2 hits the spinners, etc.

Now, I think they will tow your boat even if not operable, you gotta check directly with all companies, around your area there are many that operate towing services, been a while for me to remember any names, and I bet captains here will give you an active proper recommendation with maybe a cost guesstimate of some sort. Did you check in your marina for any captains with tow endorsement? Many captains add that to their ticket even if just for the experience, and since boaters are known to lend a hand, or rope in that matter, I guess someone would be please to do a couple of notes on the side.

My #1 advise would be; get a boat that is set for such an operation, it will be less hassle, more efficient and timely and more prudent to say the least. The fact that tow boats carry better ropes that have less chances of lashing back if broken, and are properly fender and cleat prepped, and with insurance or at least liability off of your back, is all well worth the investment. Your call and we'll help with info as needed.

Be safe.

Cheers.