Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta

Interested in yachting career - no experience - UK based - advice please.

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by sferg410, Feb 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sferg410

sferg410 New Member

Hello, first i would like to apologise for another thread about getting into the business but I hope mine is a little different.

I am male, UK based with no sailing experience at all, I am also 37 years old. I like the idea of working on yachts and building up my qualifications over time and hopefully one day working a fairly senior position on a super yacht, but naturally I have some questions and first and most important,

Am I to old considering I have no experience at all?

If not, how do I go about it?
    I can't go and do one of these fast track yacht master courses as at £7000 plus, they are just to expensive and I have read that Captains prefer a bit of experience anyway rather than a YM with no real experience.

My first thought was to do the STCW 95 courses in a week long course. Powerboat level 2 course,a VHF radio course and get my ENG-1 medical. Then after getting those, go and try and find my first deckhand job and start gaining experience.
    Is this a realistic plan and if so, any advice on good UK places to do the courses?
    Should I try and find a job online or book a flight to a coastal harbour place and try and find work that way? Where would be the best place... Florida? France? Somewhere else?
    What kind of pay could I expect for a first position?

An alternative plan would be to do the following course which would gain me more qualifications and maybe make me more employable?

STCW 95 Superyacht Deck Crew Training at £2000 inc accommodation.
    Search Flying Fish courses and events ----- that is link to course page.

That would get me the these;
    Yacht maintenance course
    STCW 95 Elementary First Aid
    STCW 95 Personal Survival Techniques
    STCW 95 Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
    STCW 95 Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
    RYA Short Range Radio (GMDSS/DSC)
    RYA Powerboat Level 2
    Recruitment day in Antibes
    Free online recruitment service.

The course above is basically the qualifications I said I would get anyway, but with some yacht maintenance training and recruitment help. STCW95 alone is a good £750 inc housing, so is £2000 for the above a good deal?

That's it then, my plan... any good?
    All advice welcome...
    Thanks a lot
    Stewart

PS I am also ok at DIY, can cook for myself and am a qualified fitness instructor/personal trainer but not been working in that field for a some time as i had an injury and after decided there is just no money in it here in the UK.