Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Insurance for Captains

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Bernie Francis, Jun 9, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bernie Francis

Bernie Francis New Member

Question: of the skippers on the site does anyone have insurance to cover you for liability and if so what is the name of the company. Has anyone ever been asked for proof of insurance when first going into a yard to prepare a boat for delivery?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Normally you have an authorization issued by the legal owners as having command of the vessel. Then the liability should be covered by the insurance of the vessel. If you are just making deliveries, I guess you must either get this certificate for each job, or get an insurance of your own. Have not come across this myself.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, if a yard asks if you have insurance that only applies to subcontractors working on a vessel. If you are the Captain or crew, tell them that and it falls under the vessels insurance.

However, I have seen just recently where a few insurance policies are trying to delete crew coverage from their policies or charge more for it.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What brain trust came up with that? They think they'll pay few claims with the owner at the helm rather than a captain?:eek: Sounds like an AIG move.:rolleyes:
  6. Bernie Francis

Captain insurance found

I found insurance for captains at a reasonable rate. The company is Robinson & Son LLC and they normally cover captains of large ships for liability. The policity is called Maritine Officer's Legal Liability Insurance and is available in both $500,000.00 or $1,000,000.00 amounts. The rates are $500.00 and $1,000.00 depending on which amount you elect to purchase.

The company ph# is 518-761-9260 and will cover me as captain/instructor while aboard a vessel as long as I am with-in tonage limit of my USCG license.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for posting the update to this thread.

It looks like you are getting a good deal my Liability Insurance costs me 5 times that amount for 2.5 times the cover.

I am not a serving Officer on-board any more so this may well explain some of the difference.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What are the deductables?
  9. Bernie Francis

The deductable is $500.00 on the $500,000.00 policy.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Now that's worth checking into.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Liability

How would you handle this situation? Saturday I brought a boat to it's winter home. It was a long and trying day and finished off with a very tight docking job. Everything went smooth as silk though. As I was leaving the boat I took my customary look back and that's when I noticed fiberglass damage to the swim platform. There was no way I caused it, yet I didn't notice it earlier amidst the hub-bud of getting set to cruise while the owners were taking their summer stuff off.
    Would you a) stay silent since you knew you'd done nothing to cause it and hope you were right or b) be up front with the owner and hope he was honest enough not to take advantage of your vulnerability?
    Yes, an inch by inch pre-cruise inspection and pictures would be a great idea, but we know that is almost never done in real life.
    I opted for 'b' and waited since Saturday for his reply to see if the job was going to cost me money. Today I got this:"That swim platform hit was me.
    Thanks for a great job."