Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay

Information on the M/V Medea

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by foundrycourt, Jun 11, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

I have just found out that Steam ship Medea is still afloat. It was owned by our family for a number of years and now based at the Maritime museum in San Diego. We were under the impression that it had sunk near the Bahamas after we had sold it ( never bothered to check Google until tonight:confused: ). We have numerous black and White photos and quite alot of history, but was wondering whether anyone had any colour photos taken recently, or since she arrived in SD, that they would like to share either on the forum (obviously subject to Yachtforums T & C's and copyright) or any copies they might share privately.
  2. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Sorry I don't have pictures but she is a fixture in San Diego.
    A few years ago the hull was in very poor shape, Art DeFever came up with a plan to epoxy and glass coat everything below the waterline. The problem is "solved" and she again does cruises around San Diego bay.
    If you get to San Diego the Maritime Museum is well worth a visit, it is one of the better ones around with "live" ships "Star of India", "Medea", "Californian", and "H.M.S. Rose" (ship from the movie Master and Commander". Most of the museums with tall ships have "dead" ships, the yards are welded in place or rigging is incomplete etc. rendering the ships incapable of sailing or getting underway.

Dave
  3. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Thanks for the reply Dave, I saw their website and see that they had done a complete overhaul on her. Now I know she is still afloat I have every intention to fly over and see her, as and when I get the chance. I have alot of pictures of her, both afloat and when she went to the Appledore shipyard in Devon for maintaince.
    I am going to contact the museum anyway, I thought they might like copies of the photos that I have, to put on display.
    The only reason I started looking into this was because I found her original generator boxed in my garage, and was trying to find out more about it from the manafacture, to decide what to do with it.
  4. SYMedeaEngineer

SYMedeaEngineer New Member

Hi,
    I've served aboard medea for the past 32 years. I also manage the artifact collection for the San Diego Maritime Museum. Your posting has sparked an interest. For Medea's centenial we hosted the McAlister-Hall family for a cruise as well as Dr. Biddie Evens (sp). What was your family connection to Medea?

Attached Files:

5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

SYMedeaEngineer:

Great pic!

I love it when some poster asks about this or that vessel and there is a response from 'Da Man' involved with that boat.
  6. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Hi SY Medea Engineer,

Thanks for posting the picture of her, she looks great.:)

Amazing that you have worked all that time on her, How is she?

The family connection is that my Great Uncle bought her in 1945 -1946? and sold her in the mid 60's due to his failing health.

(I can't give you an exact dates at present, or an inventory of exactly what we have as I am currently abroad on business.)

However, off the top of my head, we have alot of photographs, her original genset? (in one of our garages) or at least I believe that what it is, judging by the info I got from the manafacturer and the dates they thought it might have made (tied in with when she was built), bills, paper work and quotes from the Appledore shipyard (Bideford, Devon), Marine Engineers surveys for refits, her invoices from when she was converted from coal to diesel. Also believe that one of her logs was found recently when his house was being restored.

It strange that you post now, a couple of months ago my Sister and brother in law were in LA and went down to San Diego to she her. Unfortunately due to time constraints they were on, and the person they dealt with couldn't help, so they left without getting to see her. They did manage to pick up the books on her, which I look forward to reading.

Thanks for posting,

Andy
  7. Cora

Cora New Member

photos latimer 004.jpg

Hi SY Medea Engineer:

Is this the same Medea that was owned by Arthur J. Moore-Bennett in the 1930s? He and his wife (my husband's relative) sailed her for many years. There were a number of newspaper articles written about their journeys. Here's an article with a photo of their Medea.

Thanks,

Cora
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The one in your photos looks like a sailboat to me whereas the one in the color photo above looks like it is and always has been a power driven boat albeit a steamer or diesel.
  9. George Adkins

George Adkins New Member

I just came across this thread and have taken a few photos of Madea. This shot was taken earlier this year.

Attached Files:

10. George Adkins

George Adkins New Member

Here's her from the top deck

Attached Files:

11. Sehzeichner

Sehzeichner New Member

ms-riederstein-medea-artikel.jpg ms-riederstein-medea-artikel-ii.jpg ms-riederstein-mit-medea.jpg First...i'm sorry for my bad english ( i'm a retired german sailor )..
    Searching the www for some Ship pics of my professional past i came across your nice Forum by chance and found out that the Steam ship "Medea" is still afloat...and i'm pleased to see her in good shape and condition.
    Way back in 1971 i was an AB aboard the german Cargo Vessel "Riederstein"...we shipped the "Medea" "piggyback" from Rotterdam to Long Beach.
    Enclosed a pic of the "Riederstein" with the "Medea"...Best regards ms-riederstein-mit-medea.jpg