Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Info wanted in several areas

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Catcey, May 27, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Catcey

Catcey Guest

Hi, my name is Cat and I'm a writer, as yet unpublished, and am doing a bit of research on yachts. Not too long ago I did quite a bit of research on SeaRay Sundancers, specifically the sport yachts, having seen a 380 at an RV and boat show in Las Vegas. I'll never own a yacht, but as someone said in one of the threads, it's almost as much fun to look and dream as it is to own. Besides as I said I am a writer and research is of the good when you're writing about something you don't really have a working knowledge of.

More recently I have been scouting around and doing a bit of online research of larger yachts, specifically crewed ones from about 130 feet and up. I think 150 to 170 is what I have it narrowed down to. Unfortunately I have run into only finding the most basic of info on these, mostly from charter services, which is good, but not what all that I need. I'm really looking for more specifics on the crew quarters, the galley, and anything else I can get on being a crew member aboard a large yacht. I will probably copy and paste this post into the crew section of the board, if that's okay. I'll wait to do that to see what's said here. I'd really hate to overstep my bounds on a second post.

Most of the floor plans I've seen are tiny, on larger yachts, the ones at searay.com are great, but their largest yacht is only 70 feet and I'm researching bigger of course.

Any info that anyone can offer would be great. Owners, crew members, captains, or even just someone who has been aboard a large yacht. My current work is from a chef's pov, which is why I'm trying zero in on crew quarters and the galley. My Sundancer research went towards an owner's pov, btw.

And with all that, allow me to say, this is a wonderful board with beautiful pictures and interesting information, from what I've looked at so far. There are some really gorgeous boats out there. Congrats to owners far and wide.

I've babbled more than my fair share now. :) Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
  2. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

Are you talking about the boat's main galley, or the crew's galley? You should visit some boat builders or brokers of larger boats like you speak of to see if you can get your hands on some line drawings. We built boats from 50 to 90 feet and at any given time had dozens of line drawings around. I'm sure the builder of a 150' boat would have the same thing. Perhaps a design that never went to production. Call Trinity Yachts or Palmer Johnson.
  3. Catcey

Catcey Guest

Both actually. And anything else I can learn. Usually it's rather easy to find pictures of the main galley, but finding pictures or a decent floorplan that is readable on line is hard. I did find one set of pictures for a crew cabin and the crew lounge on a Shipworks 144' and then some really nice bits of floor plans on an Italian Blue 154' both at yacht council.

Thanks for the suggestions yachtjim, I'll look into Trinity and Palmer Johnson.
  4. firstmate_pete

firstmate_pete New Member

Reply:How to get plans

go to ************** and do a search for boats 150' to 170' and usually instead of pictures, they show plans. Also, go to google.com and type: plans for boats 150' to 170'
  5. Catcey

Catcey Guest

Thanks firstmate pete. I will try **************. I can't remember if I went there or not.