Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Industry almanac?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by meblom, Jun 30, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. meblom

meblom New Member

Folks:

New guy here again!

Checking to see if any of you know of an industry almanac that might reveal specific dates, info, etc pertaining to certain game-changing production boat models, industry innovations, and the individuals who helped shape the boating industry.

For example: I look at a boat like the Donzi Sweet 16 as one of the most-pure combinations of form and function. I'd love to be able to track down its introduction date, etc. Was it intro'ed at a Miami show? When did it first appear in industry print, etc.

This is just one example, but hopefully I wasn't too muddled in what I'm searching for. I'm working on a long-term project, and am honestly not having alot of luck tracking down specific info. Of course, I have Ed McNew's book, which is great, but it only gives a snapshot on each model, w/ no in-depth history.

Suggestions?
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I know of no one-stop shop for the info you are looking for.

Forums are great for certain info that is very specific (this is one of the finest to start with ;) ) but owner forums for certain makes, models or designers are a good resource.

Use the web, Luke, use the web.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Buc book that yacht brokers can buy each year does show a good portion of this info with production years, basic specs, engine packages and notes some of the noticable changes.
  4. meblom

meblom New Member

Thanks guys.

Capt: I'm a reformed (LOL) broker, and have loads of resources from my previous career.

Examples of things I'd love to be able to find out: when the original 53' (not the 50') Hatteras motor yacht was introduced to the public (official date), exactly how many they made, and the date the last one rolled off the New Bern line. There are all kinds of iconic designs that I'd like to be able to drill down on: the 46.6 Bertram, the 340 Sundancer, the Trojan 10 Metre, 42' Grand Banks, 4550 pilothouse Bayliner, etc...boats that were real game-changers...

Unfortunately, not all ground-breakers have been as well-documented as Hatteras hull#1: Knit Wits.

In an era where virtually everything you seemingly need is available at your fingertips, this pursuit has been a little frustrating...
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Go to the website for the hatteras1510 club which is dedicated to 53' Hatteras' and you can find a lot of info about them there......