Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Westport

I'm looking to join the Silverton Owners Club, need advice...

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by DaddysGirls, Sep 25, 2010.

1. DaddysGirls

DaddysGirls New Member

I just sold my 32' Trojan & I'm looking to move up & into a late 80's or 90 40' Convertible. My wife & I have 2 daughters 2 & 3 yrs old. We grew out of the 32' fast. One question I have is, after looking at a few, they had the gunwhales, cockpit & deck awlgripped... Is this standard? Other then that I'm just looking for general advice on what to look for & what to avoid from the guru's that be...
    Thank You in advance!!!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They do shrink fast don't they, especially with kids. Thses days a lot of boats are Awlgripped, especially since colored hulls became fashionable. There are other coatings as well. There has been some comment on the threads lately about problems when redoing. Check them out. Awlgrip gennerally lasts 6-10 years, but on a deck that would be substantially less. There is also speacial care & products that need to be used in washing, etc. You can still find several boats from the era you're looking at that haven't been painted. Often all that is needed to bring them back to life is a compound and wax. As you know, once you paint, you paint for life.
    One thing you may want to consider with the 2 little ones is stairs & ladders. They can be dangerous for those little legs to climb. Pay special attention to their design bearing in mind that the boat will be rocking. Good luck, and welcome to YF.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Properly applied Awlgrip will last a lot longer than 6 to 10 years, in fact it will outlast the average gelcoat... I know a few 30 year old hatteras with shiny original awlgrip, and that s down in Florida

Whenever I see a gelcoat boat which has been awlgripped i always look for evidence of damage...

At around 36+ I d absolutely look at diesels
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very good point.
  5. DaddysGirls

DaddysGirls New Member

Did Silvertons come with some kind of nonskid finish on the whales, bow and cockpit floor?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

usually non skid is molded in the fiberglass
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually, on older Silvertons non-skid is usually painted on (sand-paint).