Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

I want opinions from Motoryacht folks about...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by FlyingGolfer, Dec 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

What are the arguments against buying a 40 meter sailing yacht for the Pacific. I am aware of course of speed limitations. What else should be considered?
  2. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

If you like sailing and understand the limits of heeling and the crew requirements no arguments. You correctly understand the speed limit, no different than trawler/expedition speed.

I would say the crew is much different than on a motor yacht so that is a variable to be sure, but not an argument against.
    I don't cross oceans, but if I did, I would cross in a sailing monohull. This based on my experience sailing and motoring vessels coastal between 37 and 49 feet LOA.
    I just cannot get my head around fuel costs crossing ocaens and I like the motion of a sailing monohull the best.

Sailing yacht at anchor in a protected south pacific local, all day. That is a sight for my eyes.

I look forward to you thoughts as well.
  3. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I confess I love the look of a sailing yacht. Also being under way borne only by the wind razzles my dazzle. Heeling? Gotta experience that on a large vessel to see how we like that. Also, it seems more of the living area is below, rendering things slightly claustrophobic, perhaps. I bet watching the crew members handle their tasks on deck would be fascinating.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you're talking about for cruising the Pacific I can't think of a single one. You may not be able to outrun some storms but a sailing yacht is probably better suited to ride them out. If you're talking about coastwise cruising there may be some inlets and inland waters you'll have trouble with due to draft.
  5. JustAzimut

JustAzimut Member

Not Pacific related at all, but I spend a good chunk of time on a MUCH smaller sailboat on Lake Michigan and I romanticize about sailing a lot when I am out there.

I concur...cannot think of any argument against it.

40 meters is a LOT of sail boat and if you buy one...I'll totally volunteer as crew...I keep a bilge sparkling.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Comfort should be considered and basically are you a sailor or not? If you want to sail, want to help with lines, want to enjoy all a sailor would, then fine. If you're also willing to have the usable space of a 70-80' boat in a 130' boat, that's also part of it.

The typical 40 meter motoryacht would have four levels. The typical 40 meter sailyacht would have 1 1/2 to 2 levels so about half the usable and enjoyable space. The cabins will be smaller in all likelihood. Also, the crew accommodations tighter.

Coming from motoryachts, I see sailyachts as great for an occasional outing, but I can't imagine spending 8 months of the year on one as we do on motoryachts.

Also, we are both captains and love taking the helm and perhaps would do similar on a sailing vessel but handling sails is not something I have any desire to do nor do I have a desire to be leaning and unable to live a normal life on board while underway.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah but would you want to pay the fuel bill for 8 months of running a 40 meter motor yacht across the Pacific or deal with its range limitations. Also which would you rather be on in 15' or 20'+ seas? Definitely a matter of different tastes and the space considerations you mention are definitely correct. Sorry JustAzimut but the odds of me buying a 40 meter sail boat are between zero and none.:D
  8. JustAzimut

JustAzimut Member

I'm sure we could set up a GoFundMe for displaced boaters and get a couple 40 meter boats for the group to use!
  9. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Sorry JustAzimut, I will probably go motor yacht, sparkling bilges notwithstanding. Sailing has its appeal, but in the end motor will win out, I think. When Olderboater speaks, I tend to listen.
  10. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

So you will be on a Westport 130:) Nice.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Now there are other options he may consider.
  12. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

IF we find we really love long cruising, probably the WP 172 for the Pacific. Or if we find ourselves spending lots of time in China doing charitable stuff, the boat basing in Hong Kong might be a nice thing.
  13. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

And if we have an urgent need for sparkling bilges, we know to contact JustAzimut.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Well, with all due respect for the rest of what Olderboater said, imho the crucial point in his post was actually a question: "basically are you a sailor or not?". A question that none of us can answer on your behalf.
    And based on your last comments, I think NO is clearly your own answer.
    If you were a sailor, none of the drawbacks that OB highlighted would really matter.
    They wouldn't regardless os size, mind.
    But even less so for anyone who could afford buying and running a 40m sailboat!
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run around 100 sailboats. First, the larger sailboats over 65' start having huge restrictions as far as draft and air draft and are really limited as to where they can go in the U.S. and Bahamas. As a Captain I hate having to stare at a bunch of stuff while trying to see where I'm going (mast, rigging, etc. etc.). The biggest issue to me is being listed at an angle all day, it drives me bonkers, and if you're sailing it's the nature of the beast unless you're in a catamaran which I've also run a few of.
  16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I have been for sure a true hearted sailor my whole life and have owned many "blow boats" and presently still do. But for comfortable living on a boat / yacht / "large" yacht with family and guests, You will need a power boat. Stable, seaworthy and spacious. Even no motor sailor (catamaran or monohull) can provide that.

My family and I found that out man years ago and our answer was, have both. A pure, great performing custom made sailboat and a steel, full displacement custom made motor yacht. And speed loving oldest son got something fast.

But Flying Golfer, as You are a pilot like me, how about not combing a yacht and a floating home. Lets combine a plane and a boat, a flying boat. See below my solution for 2022:

Dornier Seastar.jpg
    A Dornier Seastar. The production line has just opened again. Also this company has never been known for building pretty planes, this one is perfect for salt water (GRP hull) and open sea and has conventional retractable gear. Single pilot IFR plus 10 Px and it fits on my shadow. Great piece of kit, I have flown her already.

Just my two (Euro) cents

HTMO9
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Now how does that work with forward and back facing props in line with each other. I guess it is somehow similar to Volvo's duo-prop, but it just seems like one prop would upset and steal the air going to the other.
  18. Tortoise

Tortoise Guest

Back in the 80’s I had a client (retired Eastern Airline pilot)in Miami who had a Grumman Albatross that he used like a yacht. It was a beautiful machine that he kept it in his backyard on Palm Island. He totally had life figured out.
  19. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Those refurbished Albatrosses were beautiful machines.
  20. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

What a cool plane! I am trying to think what I would do with it. Push/pull jetprop floatplane, wow.