Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort

I adore my 1972 Viking 32 but have questions

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Bamagirl, Jun 11, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bamagirl

Bamagirl New Member

I am still very new here and I look to you veterans for advice and guidance. I understand that many of you Viking owners have much newer boats and are very satisfied (as I am with mine). I am currently underway in an intensive "black mold" removal cleaning project, which is going very well. While doing this I have noticed a few parts I want to replace. These are original factory parts. I have Googled the company and they are no longer in business. I have even tried a few marine vendors and they no longer have these in stock. I don't want to replace the fixture, just the covers. They are aged and finally cracking.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

A little background, my husband and I are full time non-traditional return students at the University of Alabama. We own a house across the state and live on our boat Monday through Friday so we can still afford our mortgage while finishing our degrees (I am 42 and he is 46). We spent an entire summer working and saving to afford to buy this boat to live on here in Tuscaloosa while we go to school (the 2 hour one way commutes everyday was killing us).

With all that being said, I love her. This boat is perfect in so many ways and is just in need of regular maintenance (which is being done now). Once we get our Ph.Ds out of the way I know we will upgrade to a new and bigger model, but right now she is home during the week.

I am very split about how I feel. I almost want to be diligent and find vintage light replacements but think it might be time for an upgrade. I have already taken out the original fridge and replaced it with a bigger model(teenager also on board during the week that requires more food than the form sized fridge that was on it :D ) What is your sincere opinions? And any suggestions?

Also thank you all for making me feel welcome here. This old girl I live on has forever sold me on Viking yachts.
  2. Mark I

Mark I Member

I would replace the fixture. Unlike classic cars, you are not adding or maintaining value by using original fixtures. If a direct replacement is not available, look for something close.

In addition to the traditional marine supply places, take a look through the RV sites as well.

Good luck.
  3. Bamagirl

Bamagirl New Member

Thanks Mark I, I am kinda leaning that way.

I appreciate the advice about original parts versus upgrades. Since I am still new at this I really wanted to know if I was committing a sin by using modern parts. :D

Some of her original parts there is no question stays. Like the etched sliding cabinet doors in the head. Those are gorgeous!

I agree about RV stores! They have saved me a time or two when replacing small items.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i had the same, or extremely similar lights on a 1977 35 Viking.

And they were in roughly the same condition.

I liked the light because there was both an AC and DC light in the fixture.
    I could use the DC light when the generator or shore poser was off.

I tried to find replacements with no luck.

I ended up putting in low voltage AC lighting designed for bathrooms and under cabinet lighting and using my inverter for juice
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

Google: Perko Dual Voltage Surface Mount Light 0318
  6. Bamagirl

Bamagirl New Member

Thanks for the info RT46 and RER. I will google that RER.

RT46 I would like to replace with AC and DC fixtures.
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Agreed. BTW, how do you like boating on the Black Warrior. I've never gone up as far as Tuscaloosa.
  8. Bamagirl

Bamagirl New Member

It's really nice, lots of great scenery. Weather is usually nice. You do have to watch out after heavy rains, lots of large stumps, trees, and crap floating around in the river ways. If you stay in the main channel it is not too bad. We just lost a prop on our 12 ft ski boat this past weekend. It was getting dark and we did not see the stump that knocked the center out of the prop.
  9. Viking 35

Viking 35 New Member

I may be able to help with the lenses for those lights. Let me know if you are still looking for them.