Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Hydraulic Swim Platform on a 64' Hatt MY ?!?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by NewSouthSailor, Dec 26, 2012.

1. NewSouthSailor

NewSouthSailor New Member

We closed on a 64' Hatt MY last week and one of the modifications / upgrades we have in mind is to install a hydraulic swim platform.

I am a 'newbie' and therefore looking for your feedback with respect to pros and cons of such an 'upgrade'.

Once we have the boat back home in Venezuela we will frequently visit places with no marina infrastructure whatsoever (e.g. Los Roques). Getting in and out of the water with the traditional / simple ladder is quite uncomfortable for us and very uncomfortable for elder people (our parents) and/or kids (in the future). We think the few additional square feet 'in the back' plus the possibility of having the platform a feet or so under water would add a lot of comfort.

Capt J who we are working with doesn't like the idea a lot. I copy/paste his answer: "When the boat is running at cruise the wash from the hull runs across the current swim platform on the corners. If you put a hydraulic swim platform, which would extend another 5' further aft, it would probably have to be mounted so it is a foot higher than the current swim platform, will still get a lot of wash, look very out of place, and not really be a good idea."

Personally I don't mind an odd look while cruising ... but more 'technical' aspects of course could be a 'deal breaker'.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback with pros, cons, experiences, etc.

Best, NSS
  2. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

I have been aboard a few boats with hydraulic swim platforms and would RECOMMEND one for your boat! However, Capt. J is correct, it will need to be mounted quite a lot higher than the present swim platform, which is what the boats I have been on had to do. This does not look as out of place as you would think as the old platform is no longer there to show a sight line, plus the difference while underway is not great, also who cares!
    A Hyd/swim platform has many benefits and as long as the installer takes account of following seas etc., I don't see any issue at all. I know of a 64 Offshore that has a LARGE platform that stores a foot or more higher while underway, that has travelled from New Zealand to Pacific islands etc. Has also travelled around Tasmania, crossed Bass Strait and landed in Sydney, then to Gold Coast. Those are not “calm seas” I assure you. The Hydraulic Platform was not a problem.
    The platform is a safe way to store and launch a tender, far safer than swing off a davit.
    Easy to get aboard in dive gear (Darn I wish I had one after a long dive)!
    Great spot to sit with your rear end submerged sipping a cold beer in the sunset.
    Kids love it.
    Make sure you add a few underwater lights as well.
    Enjoy the Hatteras, great brand.
    Get ONE!!!
    Just me 2c.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If ease of getting in and out of the water is the concern the mind focus on making the swim ladder more comfortable with wider steps.

I fail to see how safer it is to be in knee deep water, trying to stabilize a tender onto the chocks in a chop. I much prefer using a couple of lines from a dry deck while raising it with the davit

That said, indeed sitting on the submerged platform enjoying a nice drink is probably enough of a reason to install one :)
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

While cruising the web, I found this cool elevator. It uses original styled platform but it's travel and utility just blew me away. Why climb any ladder at all?

When we get rich and famous, I'm doing this idea.

,rc

Attached Files:

5. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

A cheaper option is to install a small crane with a platform that you move in and out of the water and onboard. A friend of mine had it done on a big sailing yacht to be abla to bath a disable family member on a wheelchair and it works perfect, you can control everything from within the platform.
  6. NewSouthSailor

NewSouthSailor New Member

Thank you ...

Thank you all for your replies so far !!!

Kafue: I definitely liked that one ... :D ...

"Great spot to sit with your rear end submerged sipping a cold beer in the sunset."

We're not sure yet if we would place the dinghy on the platform or keep it up on the fly bridge (cradle and davit is already installed). A jet ski will not go on the boat since they are not allowed in Venezuela in 'national park' areas.

Again, the main use we have in mind is getting in and out of the water more comfortably when taking a swim ... sit around on it having a beer ... we have seen friends puting a small inflatable swiming pool for the kids ... things along these 'entertainment lines' ...
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Dipping people from a davit (big fish pole) gives me the Willies. I'm still having problems from JAWs.
    Or, was that the plan?
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Reminds me of a Ducking stool.

Cucking stool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My vote goes to the hydraulic platform, as in your (rcrapps) pics.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, I do like that idea. Had similar thoughts with my second wife.
    Naw, she would float.
  10. carelm

carelm Senior Member

That would mean she's a witch, would it not?:D
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Correct (along with other similar sounding names).
  12. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

We have a TNT lift on our Eastbay 55 that we're quite fond of. Not sure if they make one for your boat but you can check out TNT Boat lifts