Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

Hybrid yachts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by sshiesha, Aug 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sshiesha

sshiesha New Member

Hi.

I am new to the world of yachts. I am interested in "Hybrid Yachts". Hopefully in the 60' to 70' size. But the only one I found in that range was the Greenline brand. Are there any other hybrid yachts out there that are not catamarans or super yachts? I want to be able to cruise long distances without burning too much fuel. and I am not interested in Sailboats.

Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOLOLOL, well Catamaran hulls are very efficient for that speed. Your best bet would be to just get a traditional long range displacement hulled trawler.
  3. sshiesha

sshiesha New Member

Thanks Capt J. But do trawlers burn less fuel than a flybridge cruiser?
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Typically, yes.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Typically a little less. However, if you ran a FB cruiser at 8 knots you'd get almost the same mileage. You would have to run at cruise 30 minutes every 6 hours to clean things out.
  6. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

The answer depends on why you're interested in hybrid yachts and what you want to do with the boat.

If you're just trying to save fuel, just go slower, as Capt J says (essentially). There are other benefits to hybrids, assuming the Greenline-like powertrain of diesel engine-->generator/e motor-->marine gear-->propshaft ...coupled with large batteries and inverter(s) and no generator fitted. I like...
    Silent, smokeless docking and departure - easier for the crew to hear each other and not waking an entire anchorage at 4am.
    Hours of 120v/220v without running a generator - e.g. A/C all night at anchor
    A twin screw boat with only two internal combustion engines, yet twin generators

I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea.

I don't see hybrid as a fuel saver except maybe as a short trip dock-and-dine/sandbar boat behind your house that you use mostly in electric mode.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We may never see the expense of a hybrid system pay for itself in the original purchasers lifetime.
    Generators will have to run. Shore side grids can not recharge a yacht cheaply.
    Electric cars can not be supported by our outdated power grids already.
    Diesel will out live us.
    Whisky Tango Foxtrot !!!
  8. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Capt Ralph - A few thoughts regarding your comments...

1. Perhaps not, but as I mentioned, the benefits are boating pleasure first, IMHO.
    2a. Sort of, but not standalone, and avoidable for long periods of time, or non-existent while motoring under diesel power.
    2b. Hybrid doesn't depend on shore power, you're thinking of plug-in electric boats, which are NOT hybrids.
    3. I'm hoping they're working on power grids...
    4. Hybrids use diesel. (except sailboats with electric propulsion)
    5. No need to panic.

One other benefit, btw, is that if you have a fuel issue, you still have some propulsion available. Limited but greater than zero.

Of course any propulsion system has to be wrapped up in a package that is otherwise desirable to boat buyers.
  9. Ken Adams

Ken Adams New Member

Check Hugh Elkaims article on wing sails 'Catalyst' autonomous sailing vessel there are many wings based on his design being developed now. Perhaps a good compromise.
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Don't we all......

The laws of physics always apply. The only vessels that have achieved what you want used solar, were very lightly built and the skeleton crew had a personal luggage allowance of 2.6 pounds. And oh, it was a catamaran because.... physics.
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

There are many people who get a great amount of boating pleasure operating their diesel or gas powered boats.

If they didn't, they would move on to sailboats.

The power has to come from somewhere. Dumping everything on the grid doesn't mean you have skipped the power generation aspect of moving an object. Wind generation is noisy as hell. Full solar leaves you at the mercy of cloud/no cloud cover. What are you going to do in the PNW? The reliance of batteries just transfers the green or carbon issue from combustion engines to the highly caustic and environmentally harmful industry of battery manufacturing and disposal. Not too mention all the efficiency losses in transferring the power to the propeller, much greater than the typical 3% losses from a gearbox.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The Greenline website mentions a 20nm electric range at 4 kts

I hate to burst anybody’s bubble but the typical 50/70 twin diesel MY will burn about 15 gallons to cover 20nm at 4 kts. And then the hybrid has to switch back to diesel. Is it really worth it?

I think where new technologies will make an impact is on the house side, not the propulsion side where lighter and more powerful battery banks will become efficient enough to run some air con loads and eliminate the need to run a generator all night.

But there are very few benefits to hybrid propulsion.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In other articles (other sites). I have commented on the mining for battery raw material and the manufacturing of the batteries, It will take 3-4 years for an electric car to contribute to it's purpose.

All the electric cars in use today have yet to over come just one venting of Volcán de Fuego .

Hybrid on a boat, so you can run quiet thru a harbor or anchorage early in the morning for a few minutes? BFD

The only gain on a boat is what I have always preached; Inverters.
    Save the emissions from the poorly loaded gen-set while running.
    Then at night.

These last days in N/E FL have been cool, nice & quiet. It is amazing how much noise ships A/C makes during the summer.
    Heading out this weekend for the Air Show and disappear for a few days. I doubt our gen sets will be run at all.