Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Hurricane Sandy Central NJ

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by coastalgeorge, Nov 12, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Thought I would post some pictures of the devastation we encountered here in the Raritan Bay/ Navesink River area.

Luckily, our 46 Post survived the storm, riding it out in our slip. We were supposed to be pulled and chocked, but the marina could not get to our boat in time so we decided to try and ride it out. Turned out to be the best decision as you will see in these pics the devastation to the marinas and boats on land. Unfortunately our 26 Grady White took a ride onto the highway, but will be fine.

The first few pics are the Post riding it out early evening of the storm, winds only in the 30-40mph range. As you can see, the docks began to blow apart. The boat was tied to the pilings which were 50ft in the mud, which is the only reason it survived. Six of the twenty seven 3/4 in. and 1 in. lines snapped, but the boat stayed solid. The last two pics are of our Grady White in the marsh about a mile from the marina.

Attached Files:

2. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

here are some more pics

The first few pictures are the morning after in our marina on the Navesink River where the Post rode it out, after that is the marina where it was supposed to be taken out and on dry dock in Keyport, NJ. As you can see, we got very lucky.

Attached Files:

3. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

even more pics

These last few pictures are of where boats landed in the Keyport area where we keep the Grady White. The storm surge was estimated between 12-14ft, with winds as high as 90mph. The flooding and damage it caused has devastated the local area, and this local area for us isn't even the worst of NJ.

Attached Files:

4. jerryd

jerryd Member

George,
    Glad to hear all is well. I was hauled in the Hudson and higher than the surge.
    No problems I was lucky.
    Hope the guys in LI are OK.
    Good luck to all,
    Jerryd
  5. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Glad you faired relatively well. It's amazing to see boats that were clearly in the path of a hurricane whose owners didn't bother even taking the canvas and enclosures off of.
  6. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Thanks jerry, and glad you did well also. Shazam, i agree, when i got to the marina at 6:00 am the next morning, I looked at a bunch of boats for my buddies and called all of them with an update. One fella was actually surprized when i told him he did well and no real damage to his boat except he lost his canvas and piping. he was shocked!!!! I almost passed out from laughing. i was like are you $%itting me do you have any clue what transpired here in the last 24 hours?? Where were you all previous weekend while we were all doing everything we could to stay afloat. but thats just some people. While I have some of your attentions, some damage to the port rub rail foward where we busted off a small section of the stainless steel rub rail and also a section of where the rub rail screws to it is shaped like half moon about 3 to 4 inches in height and about 2 inches in depth. about a 12 to 18 inch section will need replacing. when i looked at the material thinking it was a wood product that was shaped, it isnt wood, it is almost a solid white product like hardened caulk, not a very good description i know but if anyone knows what it is let me know.
  7. bigg1069

bigg1069 New Member

Rail

George, There is a company in Mass. that has it i'll try to find the name and # when i get home tonight.
  8. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Rail,
    that would be terrific. so you knew what that material was. i appreciate all the help. Let me know and i will get in touch with them.
    George
  9. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

10. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

"MW" very similar, i will remove a section this week and see what i can match up. Thank you, thats a great start.
    George
  11. C team

C team Senior Member

Amazing pictures George! We were very lucky on the Chesapeake Bay. My boat was fine and did very well during the storm.
  12. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Glad to hear that CTeam, i heard you guys saw a substantial tidal surge. we had approx 12 foot surge. as i mentioned in the beginning riding it out in the water was the best for all as it turned out. besides some trim damage we faired great. unfortunatly i see a 52 viking about a 1/2 mile from my dock sank, it looks surreal with the bow in the air and stern under water. if i can get any pics of that i will post. Where are you in the Chesapeake? i looked at a few Oceans and Post's in Kent Island and Solomon island i believe it was. Beautiful marinas.
  13. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Costal George,

WOW.....

we also got hit hard here on the South Shore of LI.

This if the first time I have signed on since the storm.

I Just recently got power back, my community and house flooded, some houses are totaled....and we did better than alot of people.

The area marinas are devistated.

boats were everywhere including some 40 plus footers.

Thankfully my 46 Post made it without a scratch.....

I hope everyone else did ok.

Regards
    RT
  14. C team

C team Senior Member

George, my boat was on the hard and the surge came right up to the back of my boat. Not enough to float it off the blocking but all docks and bulkheads were under water. Too bad about the Viking. I am on the Sassafras River which is north of Kent Island.

Craig
  15. C team

C team Senior Member

George, in one of your pictures, it shows an old woodie (Salty Filly) it bad shape. That is a crying shame since old wood boats are dying off daily. I belong to the Classic Yacht Club Of America which still has lots of wood boats. The amount of money and time that goes into keeping these vessels on the water is incredible.

Craig

Classic Yacht Club of America
  16. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Glad all is well CTEAM, That wooden boat you mention was a 42 Pederson,you may know those old style Pederesons being you are in that club, the marina it is located in is the Pederson Marina on Front St. in Keyport NJ. that is the marina i was supposed to be on dry dock at, but it wasnt to be. and that was a good thing, the two son's, Wade and Gary Pederson along with their sister Jeaanie still run the marina are terrific people and a real pleasure to do business with, they are working tirelessly trying to clean up and save everyones boats. The morning i pulled away from Pedersons to go down river and ride it out Gary actually said to me i think your doing the right thing by getting out of here, he was nervous about what was about to happen, everyone was. Who knew it was going to be that bad. George
  17. bigg1069

bigg1069 New Member

18. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Bigg, thanks for that info, great site for the selection they have. i will measure mine this weekend and see if it is what you have and i will pay for all of the material as a thanks for your help.
    George
  19. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

George,

Glad to see you made it relatively unscathed.
    Sad to see the heartbreak of the people that have lost everything.

Good luck with your repairs.
  20. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

As always the wooden boat ends up on the pile of concrete blocks!