Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder

How to transport a Bertram 42 FBMY?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Mark M. B, Mar 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mark M. B

Mark M. B New Member

I am considering buying a Bertram 42 FBMY and it is too tall to transport over land as is. I am trying to find any information about how to remove parts of the superstructure so it can meet transport hight restrictions in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The Boat Broker / yard I have been talking to has not had any luck getting information directly from Bertram. I would assume that that many new boats origionally shipped from the factory whould have had parts of the superstructure removed to ship to other areas of the country. Boat movers we have talked to have not been very helpful.

If anyone has information that can help me I would appreciate it.

Mark M. B
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am not so familiar with the 42' FBMY, but I am pretty sure the entire flybridge comes off in one piece and can be removed. Do you have any pictures of the boat and flybridge?

ALSO, try calling Glasstech in Miami, they are very very familiar with how the older Bertrams were produced and would probably be better at advising you on how to get the flybridge off.
  3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The flybridge should just come off using screws and can be lifted by 3 or 4 guys, even easier with a forklift and some straps. A friend of mine shipped a 41 Chris Commander last fall and did this, pretty similar boat. The helm console comes off as well the same way. Make sure you mark all of the wiring very well and it should go back together pretty easily.
  4. diesel one

diesel one New Member

MOving a Bertram

Going from where to where?
  5. Mark M. B

Mark M. B New Member

Moving Bertram 42 FBMY

Pictures of the Boat can be viewed on the Brokers web site. I'm not sure if I can mentiion the name of the yard on this forum, but it is in Sturgeon Bay Wisconson. I would be moving it to Lake of the Woods (either Baudettee, Minnesota or Kenora, Ontario - preferred site). The trip distance is 684 miles (1100 km).

I will contact the fiberglass company and ask them for their advice.

Also how long does it usually take to take off and pack this type of fly Bridge for transport?

Mark M. B
  6. meblom

meblom New Member

Should be a pretty simple procedure, depending how many bridge accessories (nav, tracvision/tracphone, etc) have been added over the years. Should be a cable tube that runs right to the lower station from the bridge.

The transport might involve removal of the windshield as well, but I doubt it's much more than disconnecting all the bridge gear, unbolting the bridge itself, and securing the bridge to the foredeck for transport.

BTW...good boat. Well built. Not a speed demon, but she's timeless.
  7. 61c40

61c40 Member

I was involved in a 40 hatteras fly bridge removal for transit by trailer that was not as easy you are hearing here! First find a guy to do the wireing both removal and reinstallation make sure he marks everything an photographs it and be prepared to fight the top off if it has been 5200'd down:( Piano wire and short sections of dowel and alot of effort are involved!!! also make sure the batteries are disconnected before takeing any thing apart. GOOD LUCK All fuel must also be removed