Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger

How much $ to rebuild these engines?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by VidaAqua, Apr 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

1984 Caterpillar Diesel 3306 TA on a Canoe Cove 57' yacht

Any ideas on rebuild cost for these engines?
  2. YachtTech

YachtTech New Member

Re-build cost ?

An in frame overhaul of that engine, providing parts are readily available in your area, might cost you anywhere between 5,500 - 10,000 per engine . Why are you rebuilding? Hours, Cracked liners, mech.failure?
  3. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at a Yacht that is need of a rebuild of both engines so I wanted to get a sense for the $ required. The Yacht is in California. I do not know yet why the engines need a rebuild the broker states they need it.
  4. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable caterpillar certified engine rebuild shop in the LA area?
  5. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

I have found a different vessel I am looking at.

How do I delete this thread all together so as to not clutter this area with this thread?
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

For the information of others looking you might want to leave it.

The 3306 is a Dinosaur of an engine.

Instead of rebuilding an engine you can no longer buy new you or anyone looking at doing it might be better looking at what old stock reman units there are lurking in the CAT System.

Throughout the 3306 Lifecycle there were heaps of changes to the fuel system to try and clean up the output from a thinner injector washer to more holes in the Injector to a modified camshaft and timing in the Injector pump.

Anyone pulling one apart to rebuild should be very careful what parts they end up using as many of the mods will have been done through the years and not all will have been carefully documented so using the original parts list and arrgt Nos can be a bit meaningless for some parts.
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Very interesting material. I was recently thinking of asking you specifically about this engine that is located in a vessel I might consider.

Other than these numerous mods to this model 3306, where these VERY reliable 6 cyl engines, ...or would you recommend other models or manufactures in the 200-400hp range?

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the in-line 6 cylinder layout the most inherently balanced configuration for a 4 cycle engine??
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 3306 was a great engine in the smaller output ranges when used as a Genset Prime Mover.

The big probems came when trying to squeeze a lot of power out of them at 1500 and 1800 RPM (50 & 60 Hz) by just increasing the charge air pressure and adding fuel All the other mods came after all the problems surfaced.

They also did very well in Trucks and various Agricultural Equipment.

If it is a propulsion engine and it is in good nick you will probably get a few years out of it before it needs a major. When it does look VERY carefully at what it is fitted with it when it comes to bits, check the Injector Pump timing before removing it as there was a mod where it was advanced a bit to reduce soot at light load. Note the piston part numbers, injector numbers, measure the washer thickness if the numbers are not visible. There is or was also a large range of a turbos so if rebuilding try to get the same parts again if it was a good runner as arranged.

There will no doubt be a lot more reman ones available in the US than elsewhere so you should be able to keep it running for a good while
  9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

The engine is in a wooden vessel that was repowered in 1994...single main propulsion engine......thats about all I know for now.

Gentleman does not seem to be negotiable on his price for the vessel, so it looks like a no-go at the moment
  10. travler

travler Senior Member

if it helps last year i did both my gen set's 185 kw ea with 3306 one was a di allready and the other was not buy the time i got done with them both and up grading the older one i was 18000. in the pair they had over 25000 hours on ea one hope this helps , if i was going to do a rebuild in so ca area i would probablt go wih hawthorn machinery in sandiego i have had good luck with them in the past

travler