Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

How do you reach seacocks?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Mar 23, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

IMG-2384-small.jpg The main engine cooling seacocks are outboard of both engines/shafts. On the stbd side you can with difficulty crawl across the shaft (if not running) to get to the seacock. On the port side with the seacock behind (below) the exhaust the only way to get to it is by going around the engine from the front and go aft along the outside.

The stbd would be difficult in an emergency, the port nearly impossible. Has anyone rigged some type of remote cable/lever/etc so you can easily close them? If so would love to see your system.

Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If I can’t easily reach a sea cock or any other critical component... I don’t buy the **** boat or I plan to move them at the first haul out. Cables won’t be strong enough to handle a large sea cock.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some cocks offer a 1/2" square hole in the handle end. Good for a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar.
    There are off-set tools also available to help in hard to get to locations.

However, I do agree with Pascal, If these important items are installed in bad locations, No telling what other items were not thought thru during design and construction.
    I would have had serious reservations on this if I was the purchaser.

That big bin in the way does not look factory. Would removing that help get to the cocks?
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

The seacocks are in the factory location so existing Post owners must have already found a solution. The 1/2 square drive fitting with a custom extension might work on stbd, but the handle is on the outside on port. I will find something workable (my 402 Formula had extensions that allowed reaching seacocks in the bottom of the engine bay from the top), just looking to see how current owners have dealt with it so I don't reinvent an existing solution.

I don't know what the owner has in the bin, but I would plan to remove it.

Thanks
  6. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

I put zerk fittings in mine a few years ago and it kept them smooth enough for me to hand exercise them with a piece of PVC pipe just long enough to get them started. I also put a pair of these in the pit to grab in a hurry. https://www.topshelfmarine.com/product/sea-cock-ball-valve-helper/ Groco put zerk studs in so you don't have to tap the holes, unless you break those little babies off. Do this out of the water.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I will second this. I have seven seacocks, I know where they are, they work, there is nothing too heavy in the compartment that can get loose and bang in to them (short of batteries that get loose when you turn the boat upside down but then you have bigger problems) and I can close them all in under 2 minutes. (And do so when I leave the boat.)
  8. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I have all seacocks serviced and greased at spring launch each year, and check them both as soon as the boat is splashed and a couple times during season,

Our current boats seacocks move easily by hand (the Post ones are larger diameter so will have to compare), but the add-on handle at 90 degrees offset could be helpful for accessing, especially the port one.

Thanks
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

From the pic I don't see a problem or anything out of the norm. Things on boats often require contortions to reach. I've never seen the handle holder J cited. Not bad, but the angle worries me for the stress it'll put on the handle. Personally I'd just keep a small length of galvanized (not PVC) pipe there to slip over the handle for better leverage. I commend the poster who checks his sea cocks at the start of season and monthly during the season. From your lips to every boater's ears.
  10. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

My older self isn't as easily contorted as it once was. :)
  11. OutPost

OutPost Member

Have to agree, unless its just really hard to tell the proportions in the picture, the location of both, while not perfect, seem to fall within the "normal" range compared to other boats. The bin is the only issue I see. Without the bin in the way you should be able to put yourself in a position to reach across the shaft and grab either handle without much effort.

Looks like those raw water hoses have seen better days though ..
  12. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Replacing most of the hoses is on the short list, typical of all boats more than 5 years or so old. This one is 1989 Post 43.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Me too. That's why I retired. :cool: Others have kids to handle these issues.:D In the mean time think Ben Gay and Aleve (my diet for this morning after a lot of crouching yesterday).
    Greg Page likes this.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That bin looks like a battery box to me
  15. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Not batteries. There are 3 battery sets all located forward in engine room.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The handle doesn't really put undue stress on it, as long as you pull it in the direction the handle should go, can be used directly on top of it or at 90, it's set up for both.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, looks like a good gizmo. I've just had enough things bend or break over the years from putting all the pressure on the far end of a handle to prefer a device that puts the pressure closer to the pivot point. However if the seacocks are maintained and worked regularly either way should work fine.
  18. C team

C team Senior Member

My buddy's 46' Post engine seacocks are just about impossible to reach during normal maintenance and winterization. I do not know how you would get to them in an emergency and to use the crash valves.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think that many of the posts in this thread may be the result of unrealistic expectations. Sea cocks will need to be shut fast only one time, if ever, during a boat's life. The convenience of its location doesn't matter as long as it can be closed. How many times do we get questions from people who can't find the water pump or fluxgate compass or.... A 30' boat will have many systems similar to what you'll find on a 200' yacht, but shrunk down and crammed into the available space like 10 lbs. of meat in a 5 lb. sausage wrap. The cure would be to get smaller motors or maybe just one. Are you willing to give up the horses? Things have to be put where they can be and convenience is not the #1 priority for things not used everyday. I'll bet the coffee maker is conveniently located. Some things won't be conveniently located and it's on the owners to figure out how they must be gotten to. It's not like everything can be operated by a switch at the helm. I once had an old 8 cylinder car. When I went to change the plugs I found 7 were easy, but the 8th required me to put the car on a lift to get to. Not convenient, but how many times would the car's owner change his own plugs? Just make sure the seacock handle moves easily and that you have the right adapter you need to be able to do it. This is why I caution owners to dig into their boats to learn where everything is, how they operate and that they do work, because when an emergency arises you may be making the repair in cold water in the dark.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No... there is always a way to make things easier to reach, it may take a few feet more hose and an extra hour of labor to install. When I repowered my Hatteras I moved the engine away cocks from under the shafts by to the front of the engines. Easier to access. Same with the air con sea cock.

some builders do a pretty good job making things accessible for maintenance. Others simply don’t care. Sea Ray is (or was as I haven’t dealt with one in a while) really bad at this.