Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights

How do I become a yacht captain?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Tyler, Mar 17, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

I really am curious as to how i can enter the crewing business, and what i should expect. I want to know what it will take to work my way up to Captain. I live in HOuston, Texas, and i am a Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class in the United States Naval Seacadet Corps, and i have training on the 25' and 47' motor life boats. I have a basic sailing license, and i enjoy the water. I like cold rainy days, and hard windy walks forward. I also enjoy "dog food" ie. anything served in a bowl.:p I am quick to learn and will follow orders no matter what they are. if you live in my neck of the woods and need a winter hand, or wouldn't mind having a winter apprentice, i am very willing and able bodied.
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Tyler,
    You looking to be a captain or looking for a date? We don't have a matchmaker section yet, but you can be a first (just bustin).
    If you're not afraid of a little hard work and getting your feet wet, you should start with the basic and get a gig as a deckhand first. It will teach you about the biz, while letting you enjoy the harder part of yachting. The competition is a bit tough with many crew looking around, so you need to stand out a bit. Highlight anything extra, like good fisherman, can do some cooking, know a little about engines, etc. That may help you get a foot in the door.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tyler,
    First understand that most yacht captains don't see home or family much. Second, except for on the big boats you won't get rich. Third, it's all rep and that takes years of dues paying to acquire. Fourth, you have to make your own breaks.
    As for myself, I grew up boating but entered this business in my late 30's. I got my ticket and worked in an old boat yard to learn maintenance and repairs from the pros. Then got a gig cleaning oil spills, did some p/t deckhand and relief captaining on dinner boats, a few transports and anything else I could grab. When slow season came I started my own small tourboat business and ran that for 5 years. Later on I managed 2 marinas and transported while I gained a local rep and now work for myself as an independent. In other words, don't look for security in this world and be real flexible. The only reason to be in this business is for the adventure.
    You need to work your way up to 100GT to be taken seriously, but if you want to work the small boats (under 90') you probably don't want to go over that because you'll be considered too rough for the family cruiser types.
  4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Haha, no Captain, im not looking for a date, i was attempting to be funny. To both of you, i love the sea. I apprectiate your words of wisdom, i believe that you have helped me very much. Thank you.
  5. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Ahoy there Sonny

Get your mommy and daddy's permission when you turn 17 and enlist in the US Coast Guard. And then stay in until your 20 years are up - you will be a young 37. Take that retirement pay and then go work on yachts. Between the both, you will make a nice retirement by the time you make 60.

I'm not kidding. With the price of fuel these days, lots of boat are staying tied to the docks.