Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

How do I become a Deckhand?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Mark Francis, Jul 18, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mark Francis

Mark Francis Guest

Hi All,

My name is Mark Francis and I am a recent graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelors degree in Marketing. Since I am now done with my college education, I am looking into traveling the world, especially Europe and Australia, while also saving money to eventually start my own MMA/Crossfit warehouse style gym.

Becoming a Deckhand looks to be the best fit in order to accomplish these goals but I have ZERO boating experience. The closest job to water that I have ever had is being a Lifeguard on and off for about 5 years. I also have about three years in Customer Service having worked at Disney (which is one of the best places to work for customer service in my opinion).

I really do want to become a Deckhand but do not know at all how to go about it. I would like to make it to the Mediterranean or Australia and serve on a Superyacht in order to travel around different ports but have no clue where to start.

With your experience, and if you were in my shoes, how would you begin to tackle this situation?

Thanks,
    Mark
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard. There is already a wealth of info here, you just have to do some reading.

Licensing & Education - YachtForums.Com

If you happen to be related to the famous Yacht Designer Martin Francis, that may help. :D
  3. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

Look up quality maritime in st pete. Take BST and Lifeboatman. That will make you a bit more marketable. It will also show that you have some initiative and basic skills. Once you do that, apply for your MMC at the USCG. Then register at all the crew agencies in Lauderdale. Hit the docks during the Lauderdale and Miami show. Good luck.
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Also get on the water, any way you can. Have friends with boats, go out with them. Know a party boat that may need a deckhand, jump on. Yachting may seem a bit glamorous, but first and foremost you have to like being on the water. And not just in the bay, but out in the gulf, on the ocean, etc.
    I'm curious though, did you have this desire as you put your four years into UCF and marketing? Spending all that dough for your degree and then realizing that you want to "change your major" is a big swing. Good school, UCF, but not cheap (two of mine go there).