Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

hot water heater 1986 Carver 4207

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by rholleman, Apr 25, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rholleman

rholleman New Member

Bid has been accepted on a 86 4207 with Cat 3116's. The hot water heater was removed and not replaced when the PO had problems with it just before putting it up for sale. I am pricing out new hot water tanks and would like to know if it was heated from the engine as well as electric?

Any other info on a 4207 somewhere in the 86 yr range much appreciated. Would like to get fuel flow data if possible and an owners manual would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance,
    Roy H
    "Knot at Work"

NOTE; boat is being surveyed at the end of next week and I am sure surveyor can give me that info then, but I am doing homework on items needed in advance. 3rd boat for me, had a Californian then Gulfstar MC which I sold to move up in size.
  2. riverat

riverat New Member

Water Heater for 4207

Roy,
    I have a 1986 4207 with gas engines... can't help with the manuals, but I have looked into replacing the original water heater. Mine is heated thru the engine. It's a Raritan 20 Gallon Water Heater - 120 Volt, w/Heat Exchange. A quick search on the internet will return a 1/2 dozen reputable vendors.
    Hope this helps... Bob
  3. sam356

sam356 Member

All you need to do is hook up your hot water heater just with electic out put.You do not need to run your hot water heater with your engine. When you need it start your gen. I have a 2001 carver and the water heater is run by electric only. You do not need to run water hose from engine to heater it is just more things to happen if you blow a hose or water heater leaks.
  4. agskinner

agskinner New Member

4207 Hot Water Heater

Hi,
    I just replaced my original Raritan with a new Raritan 20 gallon heater and it set me back about $1100.00 by the time all the bits and pieces were added up. Easy replacement though, took me about and hour from start to finish. I wanted the engine heating more for keeping the boat original than anything. My Dad replaced the hot water heater on his boat with one that didn't use the engine heat, and it worked just fine, if you don't mind running the genset for an hour or so when you arrive at your favorite anchorage.
  5. riverat

riverat New Member

All good points, but AGSKINNER brings up the best point. If you plan to spend any time on the hook, using the engine connections would be worth the investment. We spend alot of time anchored, and having hot water several hours after anchoring is a BIG plus. No need to spend the extra fuel on running the genset to heat the water.
  6. sam356

sam356 Member

I think you will be running the generator for many other reasons than just to warm up the water heater You charge your batteries,run your refrigerator,ice maker and what ever electric things you need. The least thing used on a boat is your generator you have one use it. I have seen boat with 1,000 hours on there engines and 100 hours on there gen.
  7. Carver38

Carver38 Member

Interesting observation!

I'm a relatively new boater but so far I have seen just the opposite! The newer and bigger the boat, the more Gen time and the less engine hours! Do more people sit still where I am perhaps?
  8. sam356

sam356 Member

I have gas engines and gen when I leave the dock gen runs until I get to a marina. If I use the hook gen runs but I only use front anchor and don't tie up along someone. I know people who only start there gen for 5 minutes just to see if it runs.