Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by orion, Apr 9, 2008.

1. orion

orion Senior Member

In the category of ultimate megayacht tender toys are the new
    Firebird 29´ with 525" Supercharged V8 1075Hp, carbonhull, custom paint,
    top speed= superfast:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Not good design. The reverse bow on a "superfast" boat is an invitation to bad things. Stuffing a bow at low speed is bad enough, having a bow designed to auger in at 80+ seems to me like recklessness.
  3. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Yes, I agree.
    I think this front engined Firebird should keep its four wheels and stay on land.
  4. orion

orion Senior Member

5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Scotty is a 3-step hydroplane that campaigned for a single year due to ill handling, poor rough water performance, and inability to finish higher than 2nd (once) in the entire season of racing it ran. Moreover, it has a near-vertical yet slightly forward stem, with a sloped deck. The gunwale is still flared out just above the waterline before returning to the inward curve, ensuring some buoyancy up top when the bow goes under.

If your intent is to have a yacht tender that is fit to run 40-50MPH (far from "super fast") only on lakes and rivers, then either you haven't got a yacht tender, or you haven't got a super fast boat.

I guess I should ask what you consider super fast, and if you've any experience actually running at high speeds - whether on flat inland waters or offshore. Have you such experience?

The boat is pretty, but for its stated intended goals it really should be re-thought.
  6. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Polite, friendly critique....
    This is potentially a 100 mph open cockpit wave piercer. Decapitation of the occupants may not instill customer loyalty.
  7. orion

orion Senior Member

OK,no normal will use this as a yacht tender...its only 2 seats but as deck candy or just a fun toy it can work. Dangerous in wrong hands but thats also a supercar. Had a 700hp supercharged skiboat that topped 100Mph (offcorse on flat water) and I see now problems that this one will be even faster. Its more scary to go downhill skiing in 100Mph:eek:
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Or any repeat business for that matter.......:D
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Kurt,

The boat is beautiful, like many of the designs you & Bo have put forward on YF, but... a high speed, reverse bow boat is an accident waiting to happen. At the very least, someone's going to taste hospital food. Setting aside the inherent danger, it will likely be a wet boat at any speed. In offshore conditions, it will become a coffin.

I lost 3 friends in the late 80's due to high speed stuffs. Mark Lavin, Dick Fullem and Mike Poppa were all killed when they stuffed offshore race cats at speeds in excess of 80-90 mph. I'm not immune either. I stuffed a 24' Skater at approx. 70-80 mph when a wave tripped my transom during a jump at the Lee County Regatta. I walked away (swam actually), but I was lucky. This is the reason that canopies and restraining harnesses are now mandatory in offshore racing.

Ugly-bow syndrome is fine for big boats, but for high speed apps, let's keep the pointy part above the surface.
  10. orion

orion Senior Member

Ok,ok but now I really have build it to show you that this will be a driest powerboat ride you ever seen. (on deck of a megayacht:D )
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Orion,
    It wasn't until I looked at Firebird 29 a few times that I caught the sponson. That's a hyro-plane isn't it? Even as such she needs an airfoil and skeg. Very artistic, but please don't ever build or worse run it. Kind of reminds me of a little hrdro-plane a friend built as a kid. Too much motor to float so we reved, dropped from a harness and she was off for her one & only. That was just a fun (stupid) thing kids did with big old motors and near dead boats back then. Amazing we survived.
    Nice art.:D
  12. orion

orion Senior Member

Its a deep V-bottom hull, you will better see hullshape when 3ds are ready
    classic ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dk5ihhAw64
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Merc 75H on an 8 foot minimax.:D Guess I'm not the only one.
  14. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I didn't realize we had so many other (now or former) go-fasts on here!

My old man figured we might as well learn how on small boats with big engines the way he did... the current 'yacht' is a 20' kevlar Allison he left to myself and my brothers with a worked Merc 2.4 Bridgeport Offshore. Can't be slow in a following sea or sit at idle for too long as it tends to, umm, take on a bit of water over the transom. :p

I stuffed that at about 50 a few years ago in 2' lake waves and still have occasional neck twinges. Since then, I won't take it out in anything over about a 6"-8" chop. God forbid running 115-118 and taking a bad wave.