Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Horn not working?

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by jlresq, Jun 3, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I have a breaker on the bridge panel labeled horn. All those bridge breakers control 12v circuits. However, the horn fails to sound unless I have 120 volts present. The boat is a 2001 56 Ocean. What's the setup for the horn and isn't there some sort of 12v momentary button that activates the horn?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What kind of horns? If air horn they re probably fed by a 120v compressor and the 12v is just for the solenoid
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most likely the 12 volt breaker is for the solenoid on the horn (a valve that simply opens when you press the button). The horn is most likely powered by compressed air made by a 120 volt air compressor in the engine room.
  4. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Not sure yet about the type of air horn. However, even if the 12v is for the solenoid only, shouldn't the compressor have some sort of reserve of air so that it still works when 120v is not present? However, I do not see a tank anywhere in the ER or elsewhere. Seems odd to have to have the genset on for the horn to work underway.