Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Holding tank sensor/gauge system?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Norseman, Feb 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Going to rip out everything related to head, tank, plumbing, valves, etc., and install all new stuff, including a sensor and gauge for the new 18 gallon tank on order. (Present tank is 10 gallons, one big poop will fill it up. :()
    What is the “best” or most reliable sensor/gauge system?
    (Started a recent search and found a lot of new stuff, including external sensors, even one connecting via Bluetooth to your smartphone.)

Used WEMA stuff in the past for water and fuel tanks, but have never redone a complete sanitary system before.
    Any rock solid recommendations?
    (Does external tapes or glued on sensors on a plastic tank come loose or unglued eventually due to heat and vibration?)

(Boat is a 20 year old Albin 28TE, difficult access to reach and remove/replace stuff to say the least, the holding tank installation with sensor and wires need to last 10-15 years with no maintenance. :confused:)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

WEMA works well for holding tank.
    Norseman likes this.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're not under the name KUZ or KUS. They don't sell direct anymore, have to go through Lewis/Jerry's or one of the other wholesalers.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

WEMA (KUS) is the only one I have recent experience with. Worked well enough. We kept a spare sensor, so every three-four years when the float got stuck, I could replace quickly and clean out the older one (acid soak) at my leisure.

-Chris
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Perfect, got an account at Lewis/Jerry’s.

Aha, so they do get stuck and require maintenance?

Once the tank is in, it will be impossible to get the sender out, without removing the tank. (Big job..o_O)

Anybody tried the glue on stuff, like this Swedish product:
    https://www.gobiuspro.com/

Raritan also have one:
    https://www.raritaneng.com/en/shop/...ntrol-tank-sensor-5-dvc?SearchKeyword=&srch=1
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I did a similar search several years back and found a ultrasonic device such as this one, https://www.tek-tanks.com/level-indication/ultrasonic-level-indicators/ This appears to be the one I used but not sure. I like the fact that it had no moving parts and worked with existing meter. More expensive that a typical mechanical sender but it never failed in the years I had the boat.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Interesting product, but looks like they only sell a dual gauge for that sensor, I need single only. The sensor can be used with other gauges, but then you have to buy a $150 device to calibrate the sensor to the other gauge.
    A bit cumbersome, if they could sell a package, sensor, gauge and cable, I would be all over it.
    Thx though.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member