Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Hey Pal! Put a cork in it!

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by cleanslate, Mar 31, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Oh yeah Mack?...good idea think I will. Cork floor that is , in the galley sole, forward V-birth, and both head soles.
    I'm almost done putting glue down 12''x12'' cream colored cork tiles where there was previously cheap vinyl sheet laminate, which was in poor shape. Tiles going over 1/8'' wood sheet underlayment over the Ocean Yachts wood decking. Held down with 100% silicone and S/S wire braid nails 1 '' long.

Tile glue is waterproof and the tiles can withstand the various changes ( temps, moisture.) Tile is glued down to the underlayment which is working out very well. Tiles came with a factory sealant to which I will apply two more coats of sealant when it's installed.

I know some of you will balk, but I like it so far and it's looking good. Sure it's a P.I.A. to install, but isn't everything on a boat?

I will post a photo or two.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

CF51DF75-96AA-48A0-9D50-ECEED910F02B.jpeg Galley sole template for underpayment cut out.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

8C72BAEA-F262-4D58-86B1-98E4A6056CB3.jpeg sorry it’s side ways again ...got one photo right.
    Anyway here it is with the cork tile in .
    Galley and the stuff holding down fresh tile in the V-birth.
    Got three eights inch quarter round teak trim to finish out where the tile meets the cabinetry varnishing that stuff now at home.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have a feeling you've made a lot of work for yourself now and in the future, but it should be easy on the feet and quiet. Isn't there a hatch in that floor?
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

No worse than that glued down Vinyl home depot junk. Things get dull , I can put down another coat of sealer . It dries clear, satin finish. Had original cork floor in my 1962 Matthews saloon, was still holding up well that was the 2000s. Had a few scratches in it, but nothing really objectionable. And what did they hold that cork down with? Good old Wellwood glue.

No hatch in the floor , not needed. Nothing to service and no room. It's the bottom of the boat pretty much.:eek:
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In that case you should be ok. Previous owner glued down a floating floor???
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

No floating floor just that vinyl sheet to comes in a roll they glued that right down to the plywood deck.... The kind of flooring they put in your first apartment in the kitchen... ya know ?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

:( Yeah that sounds like a needed project.