Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

Help with college project

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Jabor, Aug 18, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jabor

Jabor Member

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any specific design/engineering requirements for private yachts to operate in the mediterranean and the caribbean. Or maybe, if not requirements, what would be desired in a boat that operates in those areas?

Thanks a lot!

Jabor
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Jabor, the only thing I can think of that is special, is the draft limitations in the caribbean. There are of course a lot of building rules and regulations with some more for charter use, but nothing special for those waters from what I know.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A few things to consider on the engineering front be the yacht private or commercial are:

The different power supplies on each side of the Atlantic.- This is especially important if you want to plug into shore power and if trying to source spare electrical things locally.

Different LNB's and Decoders for your TV- Direct TV vs Sky/Hotbird etc.

an Owner with deep pockets
  4. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

If you are referring to laws or rules for private yachts traveling in the areas,

Pollution and Safety engineering designs can be enforced. Example of such is for untreated sewage in harbors (a big no no) as most yachts have treatment systems for that. They also have oily water bilge separators for over board bilge sucking that classification societies always want to see working as well as fire suppressant systems as well. There is so much more on those lines as well like fueling connections and so on.

If you are taking about the actual haul design, I do not think there is any regulation providing the design floats.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge none of what you have posted above applies specifically to private yachts operating in the Med or Caribbean which was the OP's opening question.

What you posted in the most part applies to all yachts capable of making it across the pond and elsewhere worldwide.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

One thing that threatens to become an issue is the handling of gray water. Bottom coating is another consideration however I don't think that would fall under design. The main places where design differences would come into play would be for ice class and areas such as the PNW where floatsome can be a problem. Neither situation would affect the areas you mentioned though. One area you might want to look into is bow design as changes seem afoot there (bulbous, axebow, european, traditional).
  7. Jabor

Jabor Member

So would you say the way the water behaves in both the Mediterranean and the Caribbean will affect a ship's bow? I thought it was a matter of size and desired speed...

How about draft? Should that be affected?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Med or Carib is pretty much a non-issue except for electrical systems. DK what size vessel you're designing, but in general, the draft for under 50' is 30" to 40", 50' to 80' is 5' to 7'. Above that 7' to 11'. Beyond that you get very limited in terms of where they can cruise. That's countered somewhat by things like cat or wave piercing hulls, jet propulsion, etc. The bow shapes very much concern speed and comfort.
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

Jabor,

would this have anything to do with the 'young designer of the year award'?

far
  10. Jabor

Jabor Member

Yes, are you in for it too?
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

Jabor

i am indeed (check out the Avatar, first attempt). not sure if u have the latest issue of Boat International, but it has the five finalist for this award in a second magazine that comes with it.
    what u need is a boat that looks completely different from anything else (check out the winner), thats step one, two, u need to come up with some good ideas. eg, like a wind generator that comes out of the front deck, or solar panels that make up the roof, engine could be diesel electric, led lighting.
    make sure the boat is good in the hydrodynamic department, theres a 3000nm crossing the boat may need to make. this will encourage some radical designs... which is what they're after.
    in regards to the solar panels they have got pretty advanced, eg they have/trying to place it into the glass of a window, but u can also still look through it. they have also made it flimsy, so one could (if possible) make it into a sail. the ideas keep going.
    also make a model of the vessel, they said they also encourage the designer to do that.
    my first boat is 85m long, which is a little to big from what i have been told for getting around in the mediterranean and the caribbean. so ive started again with a 75m.
    having said this the boat that one wasnt that big at all. and i fine it hard to see 12 paying people on it. and it didnt look that practical either... but what an idea it was!
    i would stay around the 50-75m range, but im sending an email to see if i can get more of an idea, theres a lot of grey in what they have given us.

far
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi guys, most charter captains in the Med is saying a yacht should not be longer than 140 feet = 43 m, to get into the nicer ports. This was a popular size from Feadship and other quality builders i the past. 85 or 75 meter boats are on the limit to get in anywhere...
  13. Jabor

Jabor Member

Hey 84far

I appreciate all the info even though we're sort of competing. I looked at your avatar picture and it seems like a pretty cool design. How fast can you come up with another shot? And what kind of software do you use for modelling?

I'm still doing some research right now, I'm doing this as a college project and it should be done by December. Then I'll just use my time to prepare the presentation and send it in. I totally agree with the new technology stuff, it's cool that they really encourage new ideas and actually push us to do different stuff. I'll try to get my hands in the magazine you mentioned, a guy from my school was actually one of the finalists (Adam Vorhees), but I haven't seen what the other projects were like. I looked at some boat charting company catalogues and I noticed that the Caribbean boats can be pretty big, but the Mediterranean ones are almost 2/3 of their size. And crew also varies from about 8 till up to 20. I guess that's one of the main indicators of really how big the boat is...

AMG, thanks for sharing the info, would you have any idea about how the over-43m yachts get along at the ports in the Mediterranean? And when you say "nicer ports", which ones are you talking about speciffically...?

Good luck 84far!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The biggest yachts are in the Med and further east not the Caribbean.

The very largest yachts visiting the Caribbean will tend to be found in the same locales as the Cruise ships with a few exceptions.

You will not find any of the biggest ones advertised for charter as they are privately owned and operated, if they do "charter" it will be a deal done between principals not through the usual brokerage route.

A yacht with a crew of 8 will be mid to upper 40m and one with 20 will be somewhere mid 60m max.

There are a few small ports in the Med that have size limits on their visitors but most of the place is deep and there is room for the big boys the biggest of whom often anchor off anyway as it affords greater privacy to the guests and they often operate helicopters which is something that cannot be done in many ports.
  15. 84far

84far Senior Member

AMG, K1W1

your pretty much on the money. the winner's boat (Draconis Concept pictured) is 43m approx. i have taken your advise and have down sized my boat. but can u guys see 12 guests, and i think she said 6-8 crew fitting on that boat?

Jabor,

thanks mate, and good luck to u. the boat, shes called U-BOAT, u cant really see it, but in profile she has a few lines from a u-boat. but i pulled the pin on her for this project. as the guys were saying, shes a little to big. and i also need something thats more out of the box design wise.
    also, i used Rhino, then Flamingo to render. but i need to upgrade to V-ray for the render.
    also tell your mate (Adam Vorhees), that his cat (Riparian) looks very impressive. and what length did she end up?

far

Attached Files:

16. 84far

84far Senior Member

Jabor,

a few more Finalists

far

Attached Files:

17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, and if it should be for private use, at least two of the guests are likely to be kids who like to sleep in pullman beds in the twinbedded cabins. But if you look into the classic Feadships of this size, many of them have six cabins.

On the other hand, I think it is rare to have 12 sleeping guests on a yacht, then it becomes a cruise ship...;)
  18. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Easier to get 12 than you might think.

Owner & wife have 2 married children, each of those children has 3 children, you're already at 12 aboard and it's just blood relations. We regularly had 11 aboard my grandfather's boat with my cousins, aunt, and uncle.
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Don't designers have to know anything about the rules?

More than 12 passengers is the regulatory break between passenger vessels and everything else.

If chartering is ever going to be considered, it is foolish to have fewer than 6 cabins in a boat 50m or over. A 6 cabin boat will charter long before a 5 cabin boat of the same general size and layout. Considering the weekly rates, most charterers will fill the cabins. Ask a charter broker what sells ...
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Marmot, this was about a 43 m yacht with six cabins. As a former yacht captain and yacht/charter broker spending 12 years in Monaco, 5 years living onboard a yacht, I know pretty well what we are discussing.