Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Help with captain course

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by robert biscan, Nov 25, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. robert biscan

robert biscan New Member

I am thinking of moving up to a 56 from a 41 and want to captain my own boat. I am having a little trouble with insurance since I have no formal boat training. I am self taught and have made 8 or so crossings to the Bahamas to Florida in the last 6 years. I am also good at handling the boat.
    What courses would you recomend to persue. I would like to have an easier time with insurance and I am wondering how to go about additional training. I know I can hire a captain from time to time and I may just do that on occasion. I do not want to hire out my boat for charter. I just want to use it for personal use. I have owned the 41 since late '99.
  2. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Insurance company will probably be happy if you take a US Power Squadron boating course. Also, Chapman's School in Stuart offers several courses that may work for the insurers. As long as you are not carrying passengers for hire these should be OK.

Dave