Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Furuno

help on repower bertram 43

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by argimiromalave, Aug 14, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. argimiromalave

argimiromalave New Member

I own a bertram 43' and I want to repower with Caterpillar C12/TW gear. Does anybody knows similar repowering? I wonder about the available space for these engines...
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I would go with the Cummins QSM-11 rather than the c12, better fit, better performance. Don't forget to resize your rudders after the repower.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There is a poster here called SBMAR he has a website http://sbmar.com/ and is a big time contributor to Boatdiesel.com.

He is a Cummins fanatic and maybe able to tell you exactly what you need to re power your particular boat.

There is a lot of photos etc of re powers they have done available to view on the site.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Length of a C12 engine with no reverse gear = 62"
    Length of a 6V-92 including reverse gear = 63"

Hmmm.

Height/width are no problem
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like the C12's should fit and they are a very nice running engine and would be my choice. Another thing you want to consider is the weight of a C12 and the weight of a 6v92. That spec I do not know. However, the C12's have a lot of torque and would work well with the Bertram hull. I also know several people that have repowered from 6v92's to Yanmar's in similar sized Hatteras SF's and were very happy. Yanmar's are great engines although I am not a Yanmar fan in a SF due to the smell they produce at trolling speeds. Cummins make a good motor also, but they don't seem to produce nearly the torque of the C12 and also parts and service are harder to find worldwide in comparison to CAT