Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Help, Man engine problem in Bahamas

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSkipR, Aug 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Just got to the Bahamas and having a problem. Man eng CR900 8 cyl. Alarm went off on starboard engine about 25 miles from Port Lucaya. It read "coolant pressure at water pump 8.84". Will check to see if possibly its a sensor by swapping one from other engine if I can find it. Nothing showed overheat problem. Coolant pressure between engines at idle was 21 on port and 10 on sb. At 1850rpm the port engine read 46 and the sb 21. What is coolant pressure? What would impact this? Thanks
  2. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Did you look at your starboard impeller to ensure it is not worn?
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

No I have not. I was told that the coolant pressure on the water pump did not have anything to do with the impeller.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The coolant pressure shouldnt be impacted by the raw water impeller, if the impeller wAs bad your tranny or exhaust would be hotter

Could there be air trapped in the coolant after service? How is the coolant level? Low coolant pressure could be caused by the circulation pump not the raw water pump
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I guess its possible since I had to have the coolant drained to replace the engine oil cooler gasket a few weeks ago on this engine. I have run it about 10-12 hrs since that service without a problem. Ran yesterday 6 hrs no problem. Today after 3 hrs I got the alarm "coolant pressure at water pump 8.84 pressure.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check coolant level........ if I remember correctly there is also a shrader valve near the expansion tank on man's that if you take some things apart, that you have to pump up to a certain pressure with a bicycle pump. I cannot for the life of me remember anything more than it was on MAN's and a 10 cylinder man if I remember correctly.....I wasn't the one that pumped it up.......look in your owners manual.......I wouldn't worry about the coolant pressure alarm as long as your temperatures are within spec......I would get it fixed, but I don't think it would cause a big issue.......
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

There is a sensor on the expansion tank, looking from the front it is on your right, pull the wiring connector off to identify the correct one by watching the engine control display. Did you get an engine slowdown from the controller?

Call Jeorge S at Hugo Stamp in Fort Lauderdale, he can help you with part ID and replacement.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Marmot,
    I have found the upside down sensor and taken the wire plug lose and reconnected it with no change. Haven't loosened the sensor because coolant will come out. If I knew it was the sensor I would have one shipped over here. The belt is fine and correctly tensioned. The coolant level was perfect. If you disconnect this sensor does it trip other sensors. If I run engines for rest of trip as they are if all other temperatures are okay do you see a potential problem. Yes the alarm did come on but did not slow the boat down as some alarms will. I reset several times but each time after a few minutes it would come back on. Thanks for your input.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

As long as coolant temperature is fine, I don't see having lower pressure as hurting anything. I had a set of mans like yours do the same thing, and it ended up being that alarm board as bad, and it was around $2k for the part.
  10. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

Since you have checked the standard stuff, and the running temps look OK, I would run the motors pretty easy (well off of standard throttle, maybe 50-60 % load if possible) in case there really is a pump pressure problem, you dont want to get any local hot spots in your engine. I would also keep a very close eye on the actual temps with a pyrometer. Pick several locations (block and heads) to monitor and compare between both engines, you should get a good read this way if there really is an actual pressure problem or not.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

cr900s

I have worked on similar MANs. If you unplug a sensor, it will fault and keep running.
    I've had to do that to figure witch exhaust temp sensor was bad once. That display labels them one and two, the graphics are backwards.
    There are two sensors up there on the motor end (port / forward), you may need to unplug one and wait for the sensor failure to make sure it's the one you think.
    The sensors stb / forward were for boost and air temp after cooler.
    The computer does use all it's sensors for making reliable h p so don't put them in the corner until you get this figured out.

, rc
  12. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

Low coolant pressure is an indication of a fresh water pump failure.
  13. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Coolant Pressure low

Talked to Man today and they said the fresh water pump impeller is brass and it would be very unusual for it to be bad. I have checked the belt and it is fine. They also said the system could have an air bubble in it and has moved to where the sensor is. Will replace sensor and see what happens.
  14. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

CSkipR, I have MAN's on my boat as well, 1100 CRM's.......same system as your 900's.

The coolant pressure at water pump with the engines running at 1800rpm is 3.4bar (49psi).......had a look at it yesterday.

The coolant pressure in the expansion tank must be 0.7 bar - 0.9 bar.

MAN operating maunal states the following: "To operate the hot engine without an alarm a pre-pressure of 0.7 bar must be present in the cooling system. To achieve this, a pressure valve is fitted to the expansion tank. A pump can be connected to the pressure valve and the system be pumped up to 0.7 bar".

If you had the coolant drained, you must also do the following when refilling the coolant:
    - The water cooled exhaust manifold and the rear intercooler must be vented during the filling process. The exhaust manifold and the intercooler are fitted with vent screws which must remain open until the coolant flows free from bubbles or until the coolant reaches the filler neck.
    - Re-fit the plugs and run the engines to 2000rpm for 15 minutes.
    - Switch off the engines, carefully remove the filling cap and check the coolant level.

I would re-check your cooling system for trapped air by bleeding it again and ensuring that a pre-pressure of 0.7 bar is present in the cooling system.
  15. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Good info. I had noted that when we were running 1850 rpm my coolant pressure at wp was 46 on port eng and 33 on the sb which is where the problem is. I assume I can take a reg bicycle pump and pump up the coolant tank. How do you know when it reaches .7 bar? Do I just turn on the ignition switch to show me. Is it possible to have an air bubble in the system even after running the boat for 15-20 hrs after the service with no issue?
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There are a lot of bike pumps that can pump different types of valves on the market with built in gauges like this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...nline Shop for Bikes, cycling and accessories.

Failing that use a normal pump that will go on the valve and a tyre pressure gauge .7 bar is equal to 10.29 psi so 10 psi should be just fine if you can get the pre charge to there.
  17. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Engine Sensor Coolant

Okay I pumped up the sb eng to 10psi and will take it for a ride. After pumping up the sb engine it is now reading higher than the port engine but I have not run them.
  18. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Once you have the expansion tank pressure adjusted to 0.7 bar with the external hand pump, you will also read approx. 0.9 bar (Expansion Tank Pressure) on the boat's MAN managment computer display which is probably mounted at the helm when the engines are running.

It is possible to have an air bubble in the cooling system which moved during the operation of the engine and has caused an air lock preventing continuous coolant flow. Therefore, I would suggest bleeding the system again through the exhaust manifold and intercooler to ensure the removal of any trapped air.

Good luck.....
  19. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

CSkipR, were you able to rectify the alarm?
  20. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Coolant Pressure low

Just got back from the Bahamas late today (Sat). 175 nm home trip 6.5 hrs. Alarm went off again about 20 nm from us leaving the Bahamas. Went ahead and silenced alarm A1 and went the balance of the trip okay. I have not changed the sensor although did all the other stuff. Will change the sensor in the next day or two. Hopefully that solves the problem. Thanks for all the good information.