Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Help In Purchasing

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by hos6258, Aug 11, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hos6258

hos6258 New Member

I was looking for a yacht and then went into a dilemma of what should I get. So I would appreciate any help or recommendation. Below I have all the options that I really enjoyed. Budget is around $500,000's-600,000's and would want a boat older than 2006 in great shape

Predator 64
    Predator 74
    Princess V62
    Princess Viking V70
    Azimut 68s
    Galeon the newer ones

or any other option, I love the exterior design of the predator, princess, Azimut I believe they make a big statement when passing by, but the interior is so much smaller due to the sporty look.

Every time I start filtering I find a yacht that takes me to a whole new level, just saw an 84 predator 2006, and the price was a bit out of budget (800,00) but its exterior is insane. Also the new 2014-2019 yacht most model have much much better interiors and space utilization and its just so hard to choose I'm in between the 60-80 ft range
  2. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

For make of boat, I would delete Azimut, as attractive as they may seem, their quality is dependant on the mood of the day they were built & the sub-contractor involved in the construction.
    Galeon I jave little knowledge of, so will not mention.
    Princess is generally a good quality. Predator is up there with the better boats.
    Having said all that, you need to consider the engine room & the machinery therin.
    All the vessels mentioned are designed & built for getting where you want to go at a higher speed. So when they were first designed, they were matched with high horsepower engines. I would start doing research on the engines in each boat before even considering other aspects because you are buying a boat that is way past it's warranty period with motors that may have run many hours (hopefully) or few (could be a concern) & the maintenance period is over a decade. In that decade, has the boat had proper maintenance for the motors? Something that you cannot be certain of, even if you have a full engine survey. So research what the issues are/were for that engine type. Which motors are the most reliable, easiest to repair & costs thereof. Also, very important, access to the motors. Do not be put off with high number of hours. I would prefer a 10 year old boat with 2000 hours or so than one with less.
    Good luck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Have you considered operating costs?

I would vote for the 62' Predator. I've managed a 2006 since 2011 and it is one hell of a seaboat and cruises 24-28 knots depending on load. The Princess quality isn't as good. Just compare the fresh water pumps, breaker panels, and swim platforms as a start. Everything is accessable, good quality equipment used throughout the build, well laid out. The only negatives on the Sunseekers of that era were the gelcoat cracking IF a Florida boat.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So your goal is too make a statement passing by ... wow.
  5. gsholz

gsholz New Member

Not sure a 20 year old boat in that size range will make a big enough statement passing by.