Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Help identifying this motorsailor...?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Norseman, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Her name is Quisiera II, about 57' long overall. Found one reference on Google to a court case in Palm Beach, but unable to extract further details.

Looks like she has a history in South Florida, possible charter work.

Twin engine, inside steering station, roller furling booms.

Does anybody know her history, designer, builder, etc..?

[​IMG]
  2. Neil Rooney

Neil Rooney Senior Member

What was her last country of registration?
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Don~t know.

Have not seen any paperwork on her. The yard gave me the boat. (Yes, there is such a thing as a free boat:D )

I took her apart and sold some of the hardware, the rest in dumpsters..

Sad ending for a fine vessel, but she had been under water and was beyond salvaging, negative value and all that.

Still curious of her past.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Did you happen to get any engine , gearbox or rigging serial Numbers?

Did it have an official number permanently attached to a main frame?

Was it 110 OR 230v fitout? This might help to narrow down where in the world it was built.

Do you have any other pictures?
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, have a few more pics, but not with me..In Rio now for a few days, but will dig ém out when I return to Fort Lauderdale.

It was wired for 110 and 230, but nothing on the engines. They were already removed.
    Looks like the boat went through several hands untill the last dreamer walked away from and gave the title to the yard.

The hull was thick mahogeny amd frames semmed to be oak. Some beatiful joinery and craftmaship behind that boat. Felt truly sorry about letting 2 guys with chain-saws slaughter the boat, but had no other choice;;:(
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could've been the last dreamer instead!!!!!! hehehehe. It looks like she was a very seaworthy vessel at one point in time. You could've parked it across the canal from the ferro-cement sailboat that was on here.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye, no dreaming here Captain J, strictly business: The masts, rig and sails had some value and was sold to a client in the UK.

Tried to give the hull away to the next dreamer, but severeal internet adds for "Free boat" yielded no results, hence the ax...:eek:
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am surprised that there was not enough info available on the rigging and sails if they were in good enough condition to ship to someone in the UK that you were not able to get some info that you could use to pursue your quest to establish the identity/history( some at least) of this vessel.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Hmm, jumping to conclusions here.

Did not ship anything to the UK. My client in the UK keeps a 52' here in Fort Lauderdale. His masts are laminated wood and needed replacement. The donor masts and the rig made a good match. The marriage should be consumed this week. No paperwork or identity of donor boat required to inspect and measure masts and rig.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

[​IMG]
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

And finally...

[​IMG]
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, I am kind of answering my own question here as far as finding out more about this boat:

Met with the previous owner today: He is a local guy in Fort Lauderdale and owned the boat for 2 years with a couple of partners.

The boat is 63' overall, not 57. She was built in Italy in 1974. The yard is still in business but I forgot the name.

She had a long and succesfull charter career. Lots of gear and equipment was stripped of the boat as the owner knew he was going to loose it.

All of the stuff is for sale and some was never used:

A huge Lofran anchor windlass, 600 gal water maker, sewage treatment plant, big primary winches, etc.

Any of the experts on this board know of a yard in Italy building wooden yachts.?
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There are several from that time, Sangermani is one of the more famous..?
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay. I went to the Sangermani webpage and clicked on classic yachts, as in "history" and found a fine selection of racing-type yachts..Like we call Bermuda Racers here in the colonies.

The previous owner of this big fat motor sailor mentioned the name of the yard and at the same time he told his girlfriend to pull out one of the charther brochures for the boat. Hence I did not pay attention because I would have a nice informative brochure in my hands during the span of the next 2 minutes.

Well, wont ya know it, they foxy girlfriend did not find one of them brochures and my mind had alread erased the name of the yard from the memory bank.

(2 things happen when ya get older: First ya loose yer memory. The second thing I can't remember.:rolleyes: )

The name of the yard started with M or something and was a rather short name, like 5 or 6 letters..

Hmm, Google coming up..Stay tuned.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I found a couple of pictures of a wooden motor-sailer in Italy built by Muda Shipyards, but I don´t know where this is located...

Attached Files:

16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This is darn close Mr. Lars, but the profile is a little bit off.

My boat had a more distinct house, as in 35% of the length, the boats in your pics seemed less so.

I know or knew nothing about them Italians building wooden boats, this is a bit of a surprise. (Woodies of course would be a big thing in cold water, as in Scandiland or Maine, Alaska and them places...Italia however :confused: )

The previous owner of the boat on this thread asked me how I did his boat?
    Told him I hired a couple of guys with chain-saws.:eek:

The look at his face was not warm and pleasant.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOLOL. What amazes me is that the boat led such a short life. Guessing it had been out of the water a few years and it was only a 1973. It's a shame really, but then again wood is a fortune to maintain in todays day and age.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, wood is good if maintained and cared for.
    Let a big wooden boat sit for a year or two without TLC. (Tender Loving Care for you Europeans and Aussies)
    and your bank account better be good when the next haul-out comes around.

I do know as I lived aboard a wooden boat in the Virgin Islands for 3 years.
    Can't say I slept good if haul-outs were more than 12 months apart.