Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Helm Removal Hynautic H42 Bertram 54

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Ormond Bert54, Jan 7, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

The Hynautic H42 helm on my Bertram 54 is leaking fluid. I'm in the process of removing it for overhaul. Here is what I found.

The larger ring at the base of the shaft (approx 1 3/4" tall is larger than the hole in the 3" base washer so even though I removed all of the hydraulic lines and the 4 cap nuts, the helm will not drop down. The shaft will not go through the hole in the large washer.

Do I need a puller to remove that 1 3/4" tall ring at the base of the shaft?

The seemingly simplest things continue to stump me!

H42 2.jpg

H42 1.jpg
  2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

That looks like someone added an aluminum bushing to adjust the wheel height. The H-42 has a straight end, not tapered and the keyway is longer than you have exposed. Pulling that bushing will be a bear with nowhere to grab it beneath the edge. Try soaking it with PB Blaster for a while and rapping it sharply with a hammer in top of the shaft with the nut on to keep from bolixing up the threads of course! (Bolixing is a highly technical term only used by marine engineers, I'm sure K1W1 can supply complete definition)

A judicious application of heat may also help break the bone between the aluminium and stainless. Be wary of the volatile PB Blaster oil and flames (let dry for a while beforehand). Since you will most likely be replacing the shaft seal, the heat shouldn't be an issue. If all else fails, you can cut the bushing with a mototool, replace it with a brass one instead of aluminum when you go back. Good luck!
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I agree with Bills suggestions, if you end up cutting it lengthwise to split it off try cutting where the keyway is, this will allow you to ensure you have cut through all the way whilst the key is behind the cut and minimise the damage to the shaft.

It will also give you a good place to drive a chisel in once you are about 1/2" from the bottom.

The replacement bush could be made from Brass/Bronze or a synthetic material if it doesn't have too much load/compression on it.

If using either of the metals use a good lube under them and they will come off next time no problem especially if you get it made with a little clearance.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Been there

Above are correct. I had the same thing on my '78, 58' Bert, lower station. I figured it was for a after market, short hub'd wheel to fit. I fixed all and got a correct height wheel hub. Spacer was not required with new (correct) wheel.
    Replacement Bertram Hub insert fit also.

Split that alloy shim and reassemble with a correct wheel. It's a BOAT (bust out another thou$and).
  5. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Thanks for the help ... took the 3" grinder to that spacer and it was gone in no time flat! I like my gorgeous stainless Ongaro wheel so I'm going to need to figure a new spacer once the helm goes back on ... maybe brass.

Mike
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd recommend stainless steel to match the stainless steel shaft, then you don't have to worry about dis-similar metals. That and some anti-sieze between them and you should be good to go.