Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Hell Gate Georgia

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by aeronautic1, Mar 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Just passed thru Hell Gate Georgia on a 46 Black Pearl SF catamaran drawing 3.4'. I departed Thunderbolt to time me passage at 3.2' above Vernon View tide datum. The Garman sounder is set for +2.5 to compensate for transducer depth. The least water I saw was 3.2' making the least waterline depth at about 5.5'.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's REALLY bad for an area that has 8' of tide. Hell's Gate is really bad and so is right in front of the defunct marina in Jekyll Island.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Timed it pefectly and arrive No. 19 Jeckyll Island at high tide (25 st. mph southbound from Hell Gate) and never saw less than 8.5'.
  4. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

Deepest water there last November was found hugging the greens. We draw 5' and waited about 30 minutes past low, just to be sure. We saw 6+ feet by staying very close to the greens. Still 200 feet of pucker factor getting through there.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah but there's 8-8.5' of tide there, so at low tide, there is NOTHING. It's a shame they cannot keep up with the depths in the ICW.