Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Helicopter on aft boat deck

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ISMYachts, Aug 4, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ISMYachts

ISMYachts New Member

Can a yacht under 90 feet, accommodate a McDonnell Douglas 500e on her aft boat deck. My client has recently purchased a Pacific Mariner 65 and now is interesting in a bigger yacht that will accommodate his chopper. Safely.
    The MD 500e overall lenght is 27 feet and gross weight is 3550 pounds.
    Help me find the perfect yacht!
    Thanks
    ismyachts
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gary,

Today, we had the Captain of Pilar Rossi sign-up as a member, so he would be best qualified to answer the following question. Below are pictures of Pilar Rossi. The tri-hull configuration they are using for this yacht leads me to believe it is not only to add stability, but also to add additional lift and bouyancy... for what appears to be an added heli pad to the upper aft deck. This is only speculation on my part, but I thought it was interesting and somewhat relavent to your question.

Re: a 90 foot supporting a heli question... Van Mill's 143' Star Ship (link below) supports a Bell 206. Maybe some others can suggest some smaller yachts that do the same.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8094&postcount=14

Attached Files:

3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I just did a quick search on Yahoo for "smallest yacht with helicopter" and came up with this pic of a 90' yacht with her heli precariously perched out back. Whoever landed there certainly had some...

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

WOW! Given the rotor span and it's proximity to the radar arch... ... not much room for error!
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Maybe the arch gets partially dismantled for landings and take-offs? I dunno'. It looks like there's a Canadian flag off the stern... leave it to us to do something that nuts just for kicks. :D
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I bet it was Carl. He could do it with one arm tied behind his back & one eye blind folded.
  7. ISMYachts

ISMYachts New Member

Carl
    I guess you can have the crew tip the arch(mast) down forward when the boss fly's in. Kinda ugly looking for short time.
  8. YachtForums

I'm not THAT good, but... I do fly better when my friends are drinking. ;)

One Drink... Carl hovered.
    Two Drinks... he did loops.
    Three drinks... he was upside down.
    Four drinks... he engaged an F-18 and emerged victorious! :D

Thanks for the compliment Dave! :)
  9. mariog

mariog New Member

a picture of a 58' Hatteras MY with a helicopter on the top deck, aft of the fly bridge.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  10. YachtForums

Good Post Mariog! These pictures look surprising, but the weight of a Robinson-22 is essentially the same as the average dinghy.

The weight of an R-22 (pictured above) is approximately 850 lbs. The only reason I know this, is because I had one. It's hard to remember now, but I think the lift-off weight (fuel, pilot and passenger) was not suppose to exceed 1350 lbs. on the Robinson-22. It's been a few years, so my figures may be off.

I don't recall reading what Hatteras states as the maximum weight the flybridge aft deck can support, but the most popular dinghy to decorate these boats would undoubtedly be the 13' to 15' Boston Whaler. These boats weigh about 800-900 lbs. With a 50 hp outboard bolted to the transom, this weight would easily be over 1000 lbs. Essentially, about the same as an R-22. :)

Note to Gary @ ISM: you indicated you're client is looking to land an MD500-E on the back of yacht. This is a substantially heavier machine (1500 lbs+). Loaded with fuel and passengers, the MD500 will approach 3000 lbs. That's a significant amount of weight to place on an aft-deck housing... as well the overall vessel.

You may want to check with each yacht builder your client is considering. Maybe they can supply you with specs to help narrow down your search, or at the very least, suggest structural improvements to accomodate the weight.

Good pics Mariog. Brings back some memories, but I don't miss that squirrely little bird! :rolleyes:
  11. mariog

mariog New Member

No problem. glad you enjoyed them :)
  12. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

Evil Kenevil once owned a 1976 75' Broward (Evil Eye) and he used the aft deck for his helicopter. The yacht has been renamed Bottom Line and is kept in the Fort Lauderdale area.
  13. kiwicapt

kiwicapt New Member

Two Helicpters

Lets see if you can beat this one,

Two Helicpters on a 20m vessel. The takatu is an ex coastal patrol vessel and can handle helicpters as large as a squirrel.
    check out their site www.takapucharters.co.nz

Attached Files:

14. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Mac,
    Bottom Line is in Ft Lauderdale up the New River, passed her by a few weeks ago. She's privately owned, but not sure if charters at all.
    Capt Tom
  15. YachtForums

Holy parasite pads! Never thought I'd see an R-22 and an MD500 share a 60 foot boat! Rotors on the front & back. Can you say... Chinook! :eek:
  16. KCook

KCook Senior Member

It is now clear that cowboys are not limited to the US :D
  17. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

Here's another two. Have to say the R44 looks very much at home on the 92' Inace. Not a tidy arrangement, but, well, it is Australian...:p

Attached Files: