Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Headroom on superyachts?

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by lurker, Aug 13, 2007.

1. lurker

lurker New Member

I am wondering about the headroom that one can expect on a superyacht say 280' and up in size. Of course this would probably vary on each yacht and from deck to deck. Crew area probably have much less. But let's take the full beam salon for instance. If you have a 50' beam, wouldn't 8' headroom seem rather low when trying to get natural light to the middle?

Generally speaking what kinda headroom can one expect on a yacht that size in areas for the owner and guest?
  2. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

I found this on google:

http://www.*********/Upload/8/85mWallyPowerGAs.pdf

It has a lateral diagram of the 85m (around 280') WallyPower. I believe the dimensions are in millimeters.

Of course, some yachts have higher ceilings than others. Some superyachts even have large crew area on the main deck. In those cases, I assume those crew cabins may have "goog" headroom too.
  3. lurker

lurker New Member

Thanks so much for the link.

I did some googling on Wally's pdf files. Turns out that this is the only detailed layout, or at least I couldn't find any other. I am a big fan of the Wallyisland, but have to admit that the new 85m is **** sexy. 7.8' of headroom is not bad I guess when you compare that to 6' or so that you find on the small sailboats.

ps. the large crew area on main deck thing, is it the Amel Ilona that you were refering to?
  4. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Also on Evergreen. The entire forward section of the main deck is dedicated to crew space.

http://www.dianayachtdesign.com/plans/plan_evergreen.pdf

Personally, I do not understand why most master staterooms are placed on main deck forward. Isn't upper deck aft a better location? (pitching, view, deck space, etc)

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience. I am merely speculating.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is where the Captains cabin is usually located...;)
  6. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

BTW, the WallyIsland does look cool, although I am not so sure about the what the customs people will say. Unless all the trees are synthetic, you will be transporting soil and plants into and out of countries.
  7. brunick

brunick Senior Member

erm - i just got some weird ideas in my head, how you got to the wally 85 plans... is it in the media area, where nobody can get in without being somebody from press?
  8. lurker

lurker New Member

The original owner of Evergreen started his enterprise with marine shipping and is a very experienced sailor himself. So, I would imagine that there is a good reason why he choose to locate the owner stateroom on the upper deck. Though I am sure many things were factored in including privacy...etc.

But then again the dinning room is located forward, won't there be a lot of vertical movement there?

Even if the customs are okay with it, and I doubt that to be the case, you still need to figure out a way for the tree to stay on the deck. I would imagine that the room will need to be quite deep in the soil in order for the tree to grip onto. Also when the wind blows, won't the soil and sand got kick up and make a mess on the teak deck and superstructure anyways?

Still I like the idea of having an expensive open area. I don't think any other yacht have a tennis course. Some might have the open deck area for it though.
  9. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Huh? I googled "85 WallyPower" and the link to the PDF is in the first page.
  10. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

I was wondering about that. It is a rather large yacht, perhaps it is far enough away from the stem. Unless one is willing to leave the bow area void, something must be placed there. Feadship is quite clever to put tender garages there in a few of its yachts.

Oh, please make it large enough for a few golf holes. :D

Back to the topic... headroom...

It would be nice to have enough headroom for a golf simulator.

http://www.trugolf.com/

Although it takes up a lot of space (minimum 15'Wx20'Dx10.5'H), it also serves as a theater and a virtual reality gym.
  11. lurker

lurker New Member

You can always merge 2 decks into 1 or 3 decks into 2 to get that headroom.

It seems that the headroom on the WallyPower85 is around 7'10" for the guest area. Interesting...
  12. brunick

brunick Senior Member

oh - well - that changes my thoughts about you ;) (in a good way)