Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

Head hoses ?? An easy fix??

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by hopper5, Jul 14, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hopper5

hopper5 Member

I have a 1994 440. I get a mild head smell which I am sure is due to the aging hoses. The dual vacu-flush setup is a bit convoluted and I dread the thought of replacing the hoses in the bilge. Has anyone heard (I am sure I am dreaming) of an easier fix such as a wrap that goes over the existing hose that helps seal them and keeps the smell from permeating ?? Thanks and I due understand this sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to approach the issue !!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, there is no easy fix. However, follow your vent hose and make sure there is not a sealand vent filter attached inline to it somewhere. That gets clogged and is supposed to be changed every 2 years. It could definately be a source of your smell. If not, take your vent hose off of the tank and blow it out and make sure it is free and clear as a clogged hose will cause smell.

If you decide to change your hoses use the sanitation hose and you're going to need a heat gun to really heat up the ends of the hose to get them off and on if they're the white hose.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

If you replace the hose, use a repair coupler to connect the new hose to the old and use the old to pull the new into place.

Unless it's impossible in which case you will either spend a lot of money or become very familiar with the joys of marine sanitation.
  4. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

I have lived aboard four different boats in the last 20 years and my best friend during those years has been a product called 'Happy Camper'. You sprinkle some in the head, let it dissolve, and flush it to the holding tank. It deodorizes the head, the lines, and the tank. Cheapest, best, odor relief ever.

Available on line, no commercial connection..........