Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

hawks cay resort, 5.5 draft??

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt Buddy, Mar 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

Has anyone brought a 80 plus footer and 5.5 draft into hawks? thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I went in once with the 70 footer I run which draw 6 1/4. We we able to get in the first basin just before the lagoon but didn't try the main basin as there is a 5' hump by the lagoon Maybe with some tide but not a lot of that in the keys

I also took in a 54 Hatt that drew 5' and was able to get into the main basin with no problem
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You're talking 5' depth in the shallow area coming in at low tide and at some of the docks. 1.5' tide. We have not gone there as simply too borderline for us and honestly nothing we've heard about the marina and resort has said it's worth it to us to chance it. Recent reviews of the docks have been poor. Reviews of the resort itself, better.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the recently reopened Faro Blanco in marathon is probably a better option. Haven't been there yet though. We don't go to the keys very much, no nice beaches, shallow, etc... Great for fishing and diving with small boats.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Faro Blanco comes with one caveat. The West Basin is 7 ft., the east is only 5.5, but there have been some sailboats they told to go to the east basin and ran aground. So, I'd insist on the West Basin with the OP's draft and if they said no, I'd say goodbye. Now a boat the OP's size would have to go to the West Basin anyway.

We're one of those odd couples that loves Key West. We were there for New Years Eve. But it's different and not for all and for us normally just a couple of days. New Years Day we moved on up the West Coast.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, I've run a 75' Hatteras in and out of Hawk's Cay in the West Basin. The spot in front of the dolphin pens is 5' and hard bottom. If you go in and out at high tide (which I did) you'll have 6.2-6.5' at high tide, depending on the tide.