Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay

Hatteras / Retirement / Kind of Liveaboard

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Marco Jimenez, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Marco Jimenez

Marco Jimenez New Member

Capt J - I have noticed you and your brethren (ha) answer questions posed to you very thoroughly.

That said, I'm one of those guys counting down to retirement (weeks at this point) and have been researching Hatteras yachts for two years. My boating experience is limited to trailered boats 20-27 feet. I'm looking for a "kinda liveaboard" situation, buying a one bedroom condo and a slip.

And my wish list would include a Hatteras between 52-58 feet, manufactured sometime between 1990-1998. So here are my questions.

In your opinion, how great a learning curve would I face, keeping safety foremost? I would want to be as fully prepared as I can possible be, able to handle what is thrown at me. I am currently enrolled in local cruising powerboat class which I hope won't be a waste of time teaching me stuff I already know.

While you've given clear expectations of fuel expense on other threads and disregarding slip fees and related, what maintenance costs should be expected? And by maintenance I mean keeping my baby in pristine condition. I've gotten quotes on some aspects like haul out and bottom paint, I'm talking about stuff the broker won't tell you about. I generally don't trust salesmen and never trust realtors or lawyers. ...or politicians.
    Bob Page likes this.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It really depends on what the condition of the boat is to start with. You're looking at the 52' MY I believe given that age range. It also really depends on what area you're in, is the boat going to be kept in WA? How are you going to be using it? How far, how often etc?
  3. Marco Jimenez

Marco Jimenez New Member

Two different areas are possible. I prefer to stay here after retirement. Cruising Puget Sound and sheltered waters surrounding. My wife, however, was raised near Lake Charles, La and she'd like to be near her family there. Much as I hate to admit it there are financial advantages to Louisiana as slips and fuel are cheaper there. That said, the waters in Washington are friendlier. The use would involve short trips of less than 100nm. For example, just going to Victoria BC., or just dropping anchor in Desolation Sound for a week or so. No long cruises but frequent short ones. The generators would get more use than the engines.
    Bob Page likes this.
  4. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

The "vacation" cruising in the the Northwest is 100 times better than Louisiana. I might be too conservative there. Fly to LA to see the family. As for your learning curve, none of us know you or your SO, so our guesses are pretty irrelevant. Hire a captain who does training as part of his practice and he/she can evaluate your status. There are a ton of charter companies up there in Bellingham and Anacortes, and they can provide that service (and the opportunity to try the lifestyle too). Maintenance costs are dependent on your standards for seaworthiness, comfort and cosmetics, and cash costs depend on your handiness, cost of your time and cost of locals who are expert at the particular things you are not. Frankly it sounds to me that you are not anywhere near ready. Do some charters for a week or two at a time and see if this is really for you.
    Louis1979 likes this.