Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Hatteras refit 1981 70'

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Matt46post, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

does anyone know if you can remove the galley/salmon bulkhead to create an open concept on a hatteras 1981 70' extended deckhouse motor yacht? Also considerng removing much of the galley/pilot house bulkhead , would like to enlarge the flybridge opening to put in a stair case from the pilot house to bridge to replace the ladder,has anybody done this too any of these old hatteras boats ? , I assume these bulkheads are structural and I Will have to have a naval architect design something?...any ideas or thoughts would be really appreciated
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The Hatteras support group can help here also.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Having done extensive work on my 53 (1970) I honestly think you could remove most of the partition you are taking about. To be sure, you d have to pull the headliner and see how the upper deck is supported. If needed you could easily reinforce the support for the top deck where the partitions are
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, I had this done on a 1988 65' (that was extended to 75') nice straight up staircase. We didn't have to remove any bulkheads or anything. I have also seen where the galley to salon wall was taking out, but then you have NO cabinet storage as all of your cabinets for plates/groceries, etc are on that wall.....
  5. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

That's what I was thinking ,you could sister up the deck supports with wood joist or flat stainless and if needed a vertical pole/support grab handle, i was mostly concerned with the side to side shear support the bulkheads provide...
  6. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

I called hatteras and they said they offer no navel architecture services on these type of projects,maybe I talked to the wrong guy, I did calll and leave a message with Paul to call me regarding the width at the waterline,I will ask when he calls me back, would you think removing one of the 1271tis engine would best be done by cutting a hole in the side of the boat or stripping it down and bring the block thru the galley/salon floor?
  7. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, you're talking about a boat that was built 36 years ago. None of the people that worked at the factory are still there, and most of them probably aren't even still alive. Try calling Cable Marine- their West yard in Fort Lauderdale,FL. They did a lot of these types of changes to your type of Hatteras over the years and could give you some direction. They have and always have been a Hatteras authorized warranty repair yard.
  9. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Other than the loss of storage ,was it nice to have it opened up? ,do you feel the staircase was worth doing ?, the galleys are large but feel so closed in , these old hatteras are not really crewed anymore and really seem to appeal to the liveaboard cruiser which would probably prefer the open concept I know I would, there seems to be so much storage on these boats ,I can fill the forward with crew quarters with every kitchen gadget and plating for 100 and still sleep three up there,there is even another crew galley ,on the 79-83 70' you will defineatly have to remove part of the pilot house bulkhead to get a staircase in , you would end up with a false cabinet in the galley back wall, this boat has full walk around side decks, the later wide body models would seem to be easer to do this.... I am actually thinking about putting the galley between the aft deck and salon like you see on a lot of the new boats and redo the aftdeck bulkhead in stainless and glass that opens completely, possibly a day head too, ideally it would be nice to find a wide body model that had a salon/ galley fire for 20 cents on the dollar and gut an refit the boat
  10. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you for the info , I have been refitting damaged boats for two decades as a hobby and feel fortunate to have found this site recently you and the site are a wealth of information
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thank You. While a rebuilt 12v71TI will go darn near forever, if you're going to cut a hole in the boat to get one out. It might be best to go with remanufactured factory Cats or Cummins. Obviously finding a D.D. block would be the cheapest route.
  12. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Unfortunately the current owner threw a rod thru the side of the block at 1400 hours ,the other engine is in great condition@ 1420 hours I am looking into looking into repairing the block in the boat , and hopefully just doing a inframe on the engine ,fortuneatly the hole in the block doesnt appear to to in any of the oil galleys, it is something that will be determined before I buy the boat , just kinda courious what really is the easiest way and least exspensive way to repair or replace the port engine
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would NOT trust repairing the block with a hole in it. There will be other damage to the block such as the crankshaft galleys if it threw a rod, and it threw a rod for a reason that obviously isn't currently visible to you. Plus you would never be able to sell the boat with a repair like that. The cheapest correct way would be to get another 12v71 TI bottom end and do a major on the entire engine.
  14. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

That was my first thought to replace the long block in pieces ,I have just had more than a few guys tell me it's easy to repair the block and the engine wouldn't be hard to inframe in the boat ,plenty of room to drop the oil pan ,What would think the best way to get the engine out of the boat ? Thru the salon floor in pieces or cut a hole is the side of the boat and take it out mostly complete?
  15. RER

RER Senior Member

Have you seen a 12v71 block after all the bolted on bits and pieces have been unbolted from it? It's surprisingly small. You should not and you need not cut a hole in the side of the boat.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You go up and out the back when replacing blocks.

I was talking with Ed at Sams Marine last week. He worked with Hatteras of Lauderdale corp.
    They would order base Hatts from the factory and customize them. Cockpit and interior re-designs.
    Sadly, that company is gone. Not sure who kept the notes. But Ed or Jerimey at the S FL shop may be of help.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Most of these older hatts had hatches in the floor to pull the engines out. There is usually so much stuff along the hull sides (wiring, AirCon pipes, steering, water, etc) that going thru the hull is a big deal.

On many of the bigger MY the galley sits where the hatches are so the galley has to disassmbled... if you re going to redo the galley, then its not an issue.

You are 100% right about an open galley vs enclosed.