Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Hatteras 80 Gone, 90 In

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by olderboater, Nov 7, 2015.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The 90 is certainly got some new styling from Hatteras. I don't know how they can continue with no lower helms offered. They offer both open and enclosed bridge. They have the only 70-100' series of MY's I'm aware of without lower helms. So now it's 60, 70, 90, 100. Have any 70's been delivered?

So what next? Is FLIBS 2016 the 110 replacing the 100? Does the 60 remain with the 70?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

90' is just a strange size. It doesn't offer much over the 80' yet needs the crew of the 100'. So now they have nothing from 60'-90'. Yeah they've had a 70' MY plans for well over a year, yet haven't produced one.
  3. olderboater

They were like that on the 100. Took for ever from the time they introduced it until the first delivery.

And your statement on the 90 vs the 100 is the reason I ask what happens to the 100 once they build a 90, sometime after they deliver a 70.
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The 90 is the new 80 in Europe nowadays, if the waterline length does not exceed 23.99 meters it can be helmed without captain or 300 GT licence.
    Hence major builders Ferretti, Azimut, and Sunseeker all have what is called a pocket 90 feet plus.
  5. olderboater

Makes sense, assuming their lwl is under that. However, right now they have 60, 70, 90 and 100 in the line and the only ones of those that have been delivered are 60 and 100.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, the 90' is supposed to be at FLIBS supposedly. So they've built one, which makes no sense since they're stacked with back orders on the 100'.
  7. olderboater

It's not listed as being there. My understanding is they're introducing it there, presenting, offering, but no boat. To them I think "first glimpse" if first time seeing sketches.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Having an owner (98% of them) run a 90' without a Captain is just plain scary.
  9. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Depends who it is. If he is coming from a 60/70 footer he might be knowledgeable and good as a captain is. If this is his first or second boat after his runabout speed boat yes scary it is.
    But I have seen owner helmed 80 footers who can be with the best of captains.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but that's a very small group. There are a lot of professional Captains that aren't skilled and experienced enough to safely run a 90'. Then you've got the factor that if the owner is running the yacht himself, he doesn't have any crew on the boat. At 90' you need people that are well experienced to get the lines, etc. You also need someone with some good engineering skills. There are a lot of things that go along with safely running a 90'. At that size, I want a mate on board that can safely run the vessel enough to get it docked or do a MOB, in case I was incapacitated.
  11. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

No it's the 70 that was/is to be shown at FLIBS; they have been building it for awhile now and sending out photo updates. However I haven't seen it on the water here on the Neuse yet, but then again I'm not looking out the window all day. Seen a few new sport fish being sea trialed though. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 90 in production yet. Certainly have to agree the seeming lack of a lower helm option on the 70 is no bueno, a lot of boats that size are run by couples in a variety of climates.
  12. olderboater

They have such a bias against lower helms. They offer one on the 60' or did, but to my knowledge haven't built one of the current model 60's with it. They don't offer it on the 70 and didn't on the 80.

Their time from announcement of a new boat to delivery of the first one is way longer than one would expect.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The new 70' MY is indeed at the show and was already ordered/sold. From the exterior the boat is a very nice and very large 70'. I didn't want to wait to see the inside.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Sure most will have a couple mates, no owner of that $$$$ usually washes the boats himself. They usually just like to drive, and helm a boat.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

Yeah... I don't get that at all. Can only assume they're giving buyers what they want.
  17. olderboater

I think they are giving what they feel the vast majority of their buyers want, but I do think it shows their SF leaning and I know they are turning some potential buyers away. It would really be a fairly easy option to offer. When they did show a lower helm version of the 60, you only lost one small sofa side cabinet, didn't even lose a seat at the dining table. Their one issue with lower helms in the current designs has been the slope of the windshield.

I can only speak for myself and I will never have a boat without a lower helm. Now, last time I went to Hatteras it was to take a friend and he would never have any desire for a lower helm.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm sure they'll build one if you really want a lower helm and order one. It's been an option on the 60' MY that not one person has ordered. They've sold 4 70' MY's so far, so people must like the boat.
  19. olderboater

They probably would but it is no longer shown as an option on the 60.

I know lots of people totally agree with no lower helm. Just the way we use a boat, we don't want any boat without a lower helm.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but you have several boats with a lower helm and no upper helm :D