Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Hatteras 75 vs Grand Alaskan 78 (2003)

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by gcsi, Apr 8, 2018.

1. gcsi

gcsi Member

Taking a hard look at the above mentioned boats, my intended use:

“The Plan”.......
    - Operate without crew on occasion, just spouse and me. (We now comfortably operate a 55’ Sportfish in virtually all conditions)
    - Spend about 1/2 of cruising time on hook.
    - initially, will venture up east coast to Canada and back (first two years)
    - If all goes well, head to Panama, through canal then ship to PNW for a year.
    - Will not cruise full time, likely for 2-3 weeks then break for a week back home
    - Anticipate another couple as guests quite often
    - Ocasionally joined by adult chillens

Grand Alaskan:

Pluses-
    Bigger boat overall
    Quieter with generator running
    Walk around decks
    NL Gensets in engine room
    Very familiar with 3406E Cats; a VERY good Cat.
    Two Chillers with multiple fan coils
    Has separate (lazzarette entry) crews quarters

Minuses-
    Underpowered, don’t know if it will plane at all (3406E Cats).
    Large centerline Stainless fresh water tank sitting in center bilge are (would be wet if water in bilge)
    Stainless hose fittings terminating into tanks don’t “appear” to have substantial backing around tank area.
    Seacocks seam a bit light.
    Unknown resale history (tougher to sell when time comes)
    Product support???
    Unknow seakeeping ability
    Unknow quality of running gear (props, shafts, rudders, etc...)

Hatteras

Pluses-
    No lingering questions concerning overall build quality
    Holds value as well as if not better than other comparable boats
    Outstanding parts and overall product support from Sam’s marine
    Known seakeeping ability
    3412E Cats, another VERY good Cat

Minuses-
    Onan Gensets
    Difficult to handle lines when short handed (scurry through cabin...)
    Generators mounted in dedicated area in forward cabin area (louder)
    Many (7) individual HVAC units
    Smaller overall boat.
    No “separate” crews quarters

I would be very interested in opinions on the two. Both boats, in excellent condition will sell within spitting distance of each other.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gary Oviott was the man behind the Grand Alaskan line. The boats were built in Taiwan but he discontinued operations many years ago. I know Jeff Druek worked for him before launching Outer Reef. One of the reasons Jeff was able to exploit Oviott's market niche was the lack of attention to some details, but I can't tell you what those details were. There were a number of models in the line with each being a little different. Oviott was on the 'earn while you learn' program, even though he had been a yacht broker for many years. The first few may have lacked some of the things learned on latter builds, but Oviott wasn't really 'standing helm' in the latter years, sorta speak. In short, get a good surveyor!
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Ditto to all that Carl posted. Gary Oviatt built over 100 yachts with many of his Grand Alaskans cruising worldwide with happy owners. Each builder and each yacht has its pros and cons, but Hatteras is, well, Hatteras.
    bayoubud likes this.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked at a two or three Grand Alaskans of that vintage for a customer of mine back in 08 or 09 and while they looked beefy a closer inspection revealed some quality issues. I forgot the specifics but they were nowhere near the quality of a Hatteras

I m not a big fan of Onans but they're not deal killers. We have a pair of 27.5 KW on the 84 lazzara i run (2009) and I ve had a few shutdowns due to bad sensors. The impellers don't last as long as NL either. With a full set of spare sensors and regular parts they re ok. The exhaust is a bit louder than NL but again not a deal killer

The smaller cats means the GA is a trawler. The hatt can be run either at 10 kts hull speed on probably 18gph or on plane which is nice when the need comes. The 3412Es are great. The boat i used to run before the lazzara had 3412Es with 5500 hours when she sold. Clean oil analysis and no smoke.

I prefer boats with side deck not just for line handling but for access to bow when anchored. No bottle neck. No issue with wet bathing suits For line handling it s no big deal if you have one person on board to handle the stern lines and you can handle the bow and springs from the lower helm. Most of them when docking into the wind or current, ornwhen backing into a slip the stern lines are last any way. The pita is to set up the fenders ...

I m not sure of the exact layout on the hatt you re looking at for but many hatt of that era had very small aft decks. I guess it s a plus in cold climates but for so fl, bahamas and carib use, it s a big drawback
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a Grand Alaskan, I was NOT impressed with the build quality albeit it was an older one. Typical Taiwan build quality quarks......fuel system had a million valves and was overly complicated, wiring runs were a bit sloppy, stainless was of lesser quality, etc. It had 1200 lbs of lead in the lazarette and was still too bow heavy and bow steered. Had some really strange seakeeping quarks.....including doing a 180 degree turn on us in a matter of seconds that no amount of rudder stopped.

The Hatteras is a proven boat, proven build quality and can be run slow or fast. This is the boat I would go to.
  6. gcsi

gcsi Member

I want to thank everyonr for the replies. Now under contract for a 2003 75 Hatteras, will close the loop after survey and share the final outcome.
  7. williamodonnel

williamodonnel New Member

I didn’t see your follow up post. Hope your purchase went well and that you are happy with the boat.

My wife and I searched for a boat in 2014. We narrowed down our choices to a Hatteras 74 and a 2001 Grand Alaskan 75. We chose the Grand Alaskan and have been extremely happy with her to this day. We cruise the Bahamas in the summer and the Florida Keys in the winter. We have not experienced the negative quality issues mentioned above. The boat is very sea kindly having put her through some interesting weather in the Gulf Stream. The side deck access makes it very easy for my wife and I to operate the boat as a couple. The boat has lots of storage and the living spaces are very generous. An enclosed air conditioned aft deck serves as a great extension of the salon and is frequently used. There are many gathering places on the boat for entertaining not the least of which is the generous space in the pilot house and the fly bridge.

The engine room is a delight. All mechanical systems are located in one compartment as opposed to split fore and aft in the Hatteras. Accessibility is exceptional. All systems are top of the line from the Cat 3406E’s to the NL generators to the tempered water air conditioning system to the ABT hydraulics for fins, windlass, and thruster.

By choice, we cruise at 11 knots or less. Running at 1,200 RPM’s burning a total of 8 GPH on the mains moves us along at approximately 8.5 knots. We just came back from a 5 week cruise from Florida through the Exumas to Conception Island with multiple runs up and down the Exumas. Generators ran continuously except for 6 of the days when at a marina. We returned to Florida with 12.5% fuel remaining - nice not having to pay the hefty price of fuel in the Bahamas.

And then, of course, there is the traditional design. We love her lines, maintain her to a high standard, and she receives her fair share of attention. Do I sound somewhat subjective in my views? Respectfully.
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The Hatteras layout lends itself to a Captain/Owner set-up, having to go through the salon to get from the cockpit to bow is tough on on short handed cruising couple. It focuses the use of the boat towards the interior.

The Grand Alaskan with walk-around side decks is more easily adapted to short-handed owner operated trips. It easily invites the guests to the outside, more an indoor AND outdoor lifestyle.

I like the older Hatt 70 MY with the walk around decks, but most are in need of a full restore. I think Naiad had a demo of that particulate model and did a few around the world trips.
  9. gcsi

gcsi Member

Sorry for not closing the loop. Purchased the 03 75’ Hatt. Have since updated entertainment system, installed SeaKeeper and redesigned salon / galley. On the fence about new paint....

Very happy with decision, boats been flawless with no major surprises.

I have to shout-out about Hatteras support. Regardless of how obscure the request, Sams has had the parts on hand / in stock. For instance;
    - when doing extensive cabinet work, Sams was able to procure the exact same laminate used in original build!
    - Running down a wiring glitch, called factory and spoke with person that had first hand knowledge of build. Easy diagnosis / repair armed with that knowledge.

To say this type of support save us much money, time and frustration would be the mother of all understatements.

Hatteras support is priceless.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran an older 70' that had a full Beam engine room and master in the stern, but it didn't have side decks, only a very short aft deck and the foredeck from pilothouse doors forward. I liked the interior setup, a cockpit would've made the difference in that boat. The only old Hatteras that size I ran with side decks was the old old 72' or 78' I believe.

The Late 2000's 72' MY is a very nice design, glass front windows and a fiberglass hardtop on the FB with strataglass on 3 sides that could be opened, they also built fully enclosed. Had full side decks, crew in the stern with access outside and inside. A really good layout for owner/operator or with crew. I know of several owners that run them without crew.