Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Hatteras 56MY pics from Hatteras Yacht Expo

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by lwrandall, Jun 1, 2008.

1. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

I'm back from the Hatteras Yacht Expo weekend and it was great. Hatteras really knows how to do it right. As promised, here are some of the promised pics of the New Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht.

Carl I hope I resized these right. Please forgive if not:)
  2. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

56 MY at dock and stern shot.

Attached Files:

3. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Side Deck. She has ankle high bulwarks all the up to the bow. Something very rare these days in boats this size.

Attached Files:

4. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Flybridge helm with twin Garmin 5215's and L-lounge

Attached Files:

5. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Aft Deck lounge. Seat backs are too low and uncomfortable. I did pass this comment on to one of the designers on board. He liked my suggestion of adding a rail three inches above and wrapping higher cushions around the rail.

Attached Files:

6. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Prototype COLOR CAT MFDs. Only ones outside of lab. VERY COOL. Hull one is owned by North Carolina CAT Dealer.

Attached Files:

7. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Stairs to flybridge and saloon lounge to the rear. Saloon TV and starboard lounge. In order for Hatteras to meet their price point of less than $2 million - $1,950,000 to be exact, they use minimal wood in the interior. Result being "whisper wall" everywhere. This hull was an ocean of tan.

Attached Files:

8. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Galley Shots and dinette.

Attached Files:

9. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Master Cabin and head. Nice size cabin with king size bed. Head was great as well.

Attached Files:

10. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Side deck hatch and stairway down to staterooms.

Attached Files:

11. brunick

brunick Senior Member

this is more like a review, isn't it ? - maybe you should mail this to Carl, so he does a complete review with frontpage of it :)
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just one man's opinion, but do not like at all. Too stark, too stubby and the entire aft end looks terrible. Don't like that rounded seat. It reminds me of the 39 that Sea Ray came out with a few years ago. It looks like they wasted space at the corners, and the placement of the aft cleats look real inconvenient unless that's just how it showed in the shots.
    On a positive note I like the bulwarks, rails and the Garmin electronics. I like that they're getting away from the white seating, but they could have done a little better than brown or just brown. Again, just one man's opinion.
    How's the fit and finish and what's the engine room like?
  13. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

One shot of the engine room. Oh my god. This engine room was massive. I'm talking 7 ft head room, complete walk around with CAT C18? 1000hp (top speed about 23kts) and 21.5k genset. Beautiful wiring.

Attached Files:

14. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

The fit and finish was typical Hatteras - very good. But it is hard to tell with so little wood used. Also, this is the first Hatteras with an Aluminum fuel and water tank. The engineer said this is an "experiment" but so far they like the idea of a single center mount tank.
  15. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Over all nice "entry level" Hatteras yacht. Good space management below decks and solid engineering. This model is still hand layed. Hatteras is starting to convert most hulls to SCRIMP. I have a few select shots of other models saloons I will post in another thread.
  16. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

A few more engine room shots.

Attached Files:

17. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree for the most part... and for the life of me will never understand the use of granite (or any other similarly massive materials) in a yacht smaller than "mega."
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How in the world do you get 7 ft. headroom in an engineroom on a 56 footer? She's either a real deep draft or real top heavy. And where do you find the room for an interior stairs, and why? That just takes space away from the salon & the bridge. Hattaras should forget about "pricepoints" and "entry level" and get back to being Hattaras; the boat others copied.
  19. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

I asked the same question. Her draft is 4'6". The engine room slopes from the back to the front. The back headroom starts at about 6.5' and slopes down to just over 7'. I was in the room with a line supervisor who is 6'2" and he had a good 12" of head room left. If you look at the first picture, from the swim platform to the aft deck is 5 steps. To give you more perspective when you enter the lazerette you step down 2 steps and the engine deck slopes down from their.

Here are a couple of more pictures with people standing next to the 56 to give an idea of freeboard.

Attached Files:

20. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Ok, I have to stick my neck out here. I kinda like the old version better:eek: The older style looks more distinguished & yacht-like to me. The newer model looks like many of the other manufacturers stark (oh boy, I'm going to get it now) clorox bottles.
    I will have to say that it's probably just like a new model of an older car. At first I don't like it but then it grows on me.
    Dave