Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Hatteras 48 CPMY and 52 CPMY - seeking suggestions & info

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Jytek, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Jytek

Jytek Member

I've looked at the 48 and 52 CPMY and like them both. I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with either.... good or bad. I need to hear it all. I know Hatteras is a quality manufacturer, but have some concerns about these older boats. Should I be??

Here are a couple of links to boats that I have looked at. If these links are not allowed, please let me know.
    https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1995-hatteras-48-motoryacht-7883198/
    https://www.**************/yacht/1998-hatteras-52-cockpit-motor-yacht-7948084/
    https://www.**************/yacht/1990-hatteras-52-cockpit-motor-yacht-8098345/
    https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1999-hatteras-cockpit-my-4700946/

Please comment as you see fit. Thanks.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My only slight concern would be the 8V92TA. Older 2 stroke technology and pretty high HP rating for the displacement. Thorough engine survey a must
  3. Jytek

Jytek Member

What about the 6V92 or the Caterpillar??
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am a Detroit guy. However, I never suggest strung out 92s.
    Not a lot of them around but the 3408 is just a little better than the 92s.
    Something else, try to stay away from the strung out 3208s.
  5. Jytek

Jytek Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "strung out"?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My only slight concern would be the 8V92TA. Older 2 stroke technology and pretty high HP rating for the displacement. Thorough engine survey a must
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Keep in mind, any 1990’s era Detroit 92 series (6v, 8v, 12 or 16v) will be some version of DDEC (Detroit Diesel Electronic Controlled). Whereas engine parts like pistons, heads and bearings are readily available, parts and service for the DDEC portion is getting very difficult to source.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Remember that first V-8 Chevy you got when you were young? 2 barrel carb, maybe 140 HP, ran great and if you cared (cheap fuel) good MPG.
    Then came the 4bl carb, advanced timing. And more.
    You were surprised when it turned to mush running down the road on that last down-shift.
    It died strung out beyond the factory specs.

Now take the temperamental Series 92. That is 92 cubic inches per cylinder that makes power every time the piston comes up (2 stroke). Great work horse from the factory. Started life less than 50HP per lung.
    Ran great, lasted forever.
    Roger Penske (DDA owner at that time) took the 92 series, added electronic controls and increased that to around 100HP per lung.
    Johnson-Towers, Covington, Pan-Tropic, Stewart-Stevenson and many others took the 92s way past 100HP per lung.

So, hopefully you see where I'm going with this;
    High performance reduces engine life. Extract high performance from a PIA engine (92s) reduces engine life.
    Extracting high performance from a 92 is a gamble that lots of boaters take.
    Most boaters have learned to go slow and puke un-burned fuel from the exhaust and still complain about MPG.

There is lots more to learn about Detroits, in a nut shell, If you must get an DDC older boat, stay with the 71s if you can. If you must get a 92 engine, try to get one tuned around 75 to 85/90 per lung.
    At 90+ HP per lung, they are strung out. Any engine life is a gamble, low speed is not doing much better as un-burned fuel is going out the exhaust and washing oil from the piston rings.

Bottom line, any boat, any engine must get a real engine survey. This done correctly, may take longer than the boat survey. If the engine surveyor looks like he is enjoying the ride, fire him and get a real tech.
    Rebuilding these engines start at $3k per lung and goes up quickly from there. That is not including R&R of the engine or heavy parts.

Now, for your entertainment, at no additional cost; stand by as I get blasted by the residents in the peanut gallerys.
    TahoeJohn and cleanslate like this.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Ralph the last paragraph that was hilarious. The rest was dead on
  10. Jytek

Jytek Member

So, if a listing shows engine to be 6V92, does that mean it isn't strung out and would be more reliable??
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Look at the HP per Cylinder ratio.

6V92s start at 250Hp and Penske stopped these at 625HP. Others took it further.
    The 625HP, 6V92TIAB-DDEC has a factory life of; It might start a second time.
    Anything beyond that is a gamble. However, there is a great YF member with these engines. His have started more than three times.
    I'm sure he babys them well.
    cleanslate likes this.
  12. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

The 3408, not a lot around . Would that go for parts also?
    Something the OP needs to really consider.
    Anyway never heard a lot of “great “ with the 92 series.
    692s the best of the 92 bunch it seems .
    Plus side , you are looking at motor yachts, which generally not run as hard as sport fishing boats, with the go like hell attitude….speed , speed. The 92s in SF boats sure didn’t last.
    I would take the chance with the 692s .
    Forget the 892 boat.
    I have no clue on the Cat motor you mentioned.
    Engine survey and good sea trial a must. Get everything up to hot running temperatures. This can never be done at the dock btw, boat has to be taken out and run.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 34 series is a great Cat engine line. Still supported well. Just you usually find the 3406 or 3412s. The 34 V8 was just not installed in a lot of boats.
    For long life, I would go for the 3406.

The 32 series is an old line. Some later blocks for the higher HP tunes have an updated oil passage design.
    These blocks are getting harder to find. To little help, to late.
    Over 450HP, when they fail, nothing is re-usable.
  14. Jytek

Jytek Member

I must be missing something.... it happens! You say that 8V92TA at 750 HP will not hold up, but the engine has 1670 hours on it. What am I missing?? I'm just trying to get educated on what to look for, and how to tell good from bad. I sure don't have the experience that you guys do, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
  15. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

It's all relative to comparing to other engines. I had 12v92s in my boat that were there for 25 years. They were fine for 3000 hours. That being said, I had two major failures in 3 years and lost a whole season each time. I also had difficulty getting service and parts. So I decided to take them out go with something comparitevly more reliable. I spent a boat load of money (pardon the pun) and repowered with CAT C18. The 92 series DD's are generally known to go about a max of 3k-4k hours between major overhauls. The CAT C18s, well above 10k hours. Of course some will go more, some less and there is never a guarantee.

There is also the efficiency factor. Typically a 2 stroke engine like the Detriots will burn more fuel than a 4 stroke like a CAT, MTU, MAN or Cummins
  16. Jytek

Jytek Member

Just for education purposes, what would it cost to completely switch out both engines for something like the CAT or Cummins??
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Way more than what you are buying the boat for and way more than the boat would be worth after repowering it. I wouldn't go into a purchase thinking to repower.
  18. Jytek

Jytek Member

I meant to also ask about ballpark price of engine rebuild. What kind of cost would that be??
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

8V92 @ 750,,,, 93.5 HP per cylinder. Just about becoming an engine I have been trying to explain for you to avoid.
    IMO, this is a high performance & high maintenance engine that may go 3000 hours. You may get lots more, maybe less. You will never get great MPG.

Question;
    Is that 1760 hours since rebuild or life?
    Who marinized it? Detroit, Covington, Johnson-Towers or an other company?
    What large service history does the engine have?

Just to give you another thought, DDCs last 8V92TA was a DDEC (electronic controlled) and maxed at 760 SAE HP.
    Their last 8V92TA non DDEC engine made 734 SAE HP.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

From post #8;
    Rebuilding these engines start at $3k per lung and goes up quickly from there. That is not including R&R of the engine or heavy parts.

$24K to start plus yard and heavy work.