Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Hatteras 43' dcmy 1970's

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Hal Jones, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hal Jones

Hal Jones New Member

Any info on installing a washer/dryer in one of these boats? We want to
    purchase one but need to settle this issue as we will be on the boat 5-6
    months at a time.
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Not sure of your layout but, if you have that closet just outside the Master S/R at the bottom of the stairs, you may be able to get one in there. Stackable type.
  3. Hal Jones

Hal Jones New Member

Hatteras w/d issue

Thank you for your very prompt informaiton, yes we do have that closet, do you have any idea of brands of w/d? I found one similar Hatteras on the internet that had an Equator W/D combo but further reserarch on the net did not provide very good customer evaluations..........
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Sorry, can't help there, go to the Hatteras owners forum, either post a question or search the archives, I know there are owners who have replaced W.D's.
    Good Luck.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I haven't run into a combo unit that's good for much more than drying a couple of towels or bathing suits. Most people I know go to the marina's machines.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually I've seen a set of Whirlpool high efficiency's that were stacked in a Hatteras and they fit nicely and were compact enough and front loading....... not a stackable..... these were standard and mounted one on top of the other and front loading.
  7. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Samsung makes a set with a front load washer that are under 23 inches wide and are stackable. I had put them in a Chris Craft I owned and needed that size to get through the hatch from the aft deck to the state room. The front loaders use less water than a top loader which when you operating off your water tank is a nice feature.
  8. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Is there a reason to go for a stackable W/D over an all in one unit? Granted you do get to run twice as many loads in a given period of time with the traditional split units (will that be a problem on a 43'?) and you get a chance to shake out the clothing reducing wrinkles (Most people do not do this, and again on a boat is being 20% more wrinkled a big problem?).

Thanks.

Edit, Is this what you are talking about with Combo units? The criticisms I am seeing don;t seem to fit what I have seen out of the all in one units I've seen at home/remodel shows that I've worked.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Yes if you have pride in your appearance.

There are Laundry operations on some yachts that would put many commercial operations to shame.

Some yachts have Owners where the bedding is changed more than once a day and requires washing, drying and ironing before going on the bed and then final ironing once it is on the bed.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If there is space for a stackable that's wonderful, but as for AIO combo see post 5.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The All In One's take FOREVER to do a small load of laundry. Since the heating element for the dryer function is sealer, it literally takes over 2 hours to dry the small load it washed in it. So all in all it's about a 4hr operation to do 4 XL t-shirts
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A lot of European boats have washer/dryers from Miele, that are both quiet and reliable, but not the cheapest. The built in condense dryer is fast, I would guess your four T-shirts are all done in much less than two hours...

http://www.miele.co.uk/Products/Features.aspx?pid=277
  13. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

A little out of breath, sorry, from picking myself off the floor from laughing. Hal, I will venture to say, will never have ironed sheets (or ironed anything) on his Mid Seventies Hat DCMY. And, listen: one needs 220VAC to run an effective clothes dryer...that Hat is stuck with 110VAC.
    My question to all the Greenies out there is why no suggestion to rig a clothesline? My own experience has shown that a large commercial dryer at the local laundromat dries stuff in about an hour; that same load out in the backyard on the clothesline takes a bit more than two hours with zero cost and, ahem, a considerably smaller carbon topsider print.

Looks odd or funny you say? Screw what anybody else thinks, Hal. If you really cared what the Joneses thought, you'd be tooling around in the latest Sundancer.
    Look, you'll have this huge foredeck which--if you're smart--will be graced by the presence of an awning in the dead of summer for shade and keeping things cooler belowdecks. There is an older 46 Bertram 46 MY out at Marina Bay in the southeast corner with such a setup and I mentally take my hat off to that owner every time I pass by, 'cuz he has obviously been there, done that, and bought the tee shirt. Awning, bedsheets, BVDs--who cares?

In this crazy day and age of GlobalWarmingArcticIceMeltingOMGWe'reAll Gonna Die lemming mindset, Hal, YOU gonna be DA MAN in your little anchorage.

Submitted without prdjudice by a non-treehugger.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have this image in my mind of Pier 66 strung with clothes lines running from boat to boat across the docks like the back alleys of Hell's Kitchen. ROFLMAO. My Irish mother always ironed our sheets and skivies with a little starch. 32 years ago I agreed to forego that luxury in favor of not being killed in my sleep.:D
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

most larger Hatteras came with stackabe washer dryer, not sure about the 43 though. Mine failed a few years ago and i replaced them with a splendid combo. it works great.

The problem about Splendids and other combo units is that people believe incomplete advice found on the web like "combos don't dry well".

the truth is that there are two types of combos, vented or unvented/condensing. The vented models work just as well as any other dryer, it's the unvented models which dont' dry well.

The only issue with combos is that they are smaller. They are big enough for the average user though. I can do a queen bed set in mine plus a couple of towels... or a few days worth of shorts, shirts, etc...

If you have room for a stackable and need to do a lot of laundry then go for the stackable. But for just a cruising couple, the VENTED combo works jsut as well and let you reclaim significant storage space.

as to using laundromats, it must be a sailboter thing, jsut like using marina showers... :)
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No, just a transporter who doesn't like spending the whole day doing laundry. As for the shower...If you don't use it you don't have to clean it, plus, the showers on small boats are...SMALL. As for the "vented" units, I've never run into them on anything as small as a 43. Where exactly do you suggest that be vented to that the lint, heat and moisture won't be completely undesireable?
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In the past many combo machines had dryers without fans, just heating the laundry which wasn´t very good. I don´t think they are delivered any longer?

The two types today, vented and unvented is basically the same, doing the same job. The difference is that the condense dryer is cooling the outgoing air and keeping the water in a "box" when the other type is venting it out in the room or to the outside.

What is making a difference though is if the dryer has sensors or just temp and timer.
  18. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

AEG Appliances

We have units from AEG. Built in Germany and they kick butt. Only 23" across the front, both are front loading so they are efficient and AEG makes a rack to stack them if you like.

We run them while underway with no problem. They both have all kinds of settings (you know; rinse and hold, soak, extra rinse, quick wash, etc.) The detergent drawer in the washer has different slots for pre-wash detergent, main wash detergent, bleach, fabric softener, water softener, and starch so you can "set it and forget it"! The dryer has real live sensors so it actually does what it supposed to and stops. Also has a timer function and "air only".

They are a little pricey but I've never had a problem and I run at least 10 loads a week through them. (Lots of heavy beach towels.) :)

Regarding "Miele" mentioned above; we have other appliances by them (ceramic cooktop & electric grill) and are very satisfied with those too.

Good luck!
    ROCKY
  19. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

"No, just a transporter who doesn't like spending the whole day doing laundry. As for the shower...If you don't use it you don't have to clean it, plus, the showers on small boats are...SMALL."

Amen to that! Plus you get all the hot water you want out of most marina showers.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the vented models are as the name implied vented to the outside. The duct is often routed to the ER vent box for instance. They work just like a regular dryer. really no difference except that being 120v they take a little longer...

i dont' know... i've never use marina showers! even when i have smaller boats, having to walk down a dock to public showers never appealed to me. Even on my old hatt we dont' run out of hot water.