Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Hats off to Carl!!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Aug 18, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Carl has put many things aside to volunteer & work with the Red Cross to help victims of hurricane Charlie.
    As I type, Carl is going back over to the west coast to deliver/distribute much needed supplies to the victims.
    Hats off to Carl! Job well done!!!! :D :D
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks Dave! That was a nice post. :)

Well, I'm back... sporting a construction worker's tan and enough mosquito bites to be quarantined for chicken pox. I've also returned with a wealth of knowledge on the manufacturing materials used on mobile homes. Trust me when I tell you... our boats are built much better. Pascoe should focus his attention on this industry, instead!!!

Before I started my drive home today, I toured areas that I had not seen before. The damage is simply overwhelming. There aren't enough landfills in Florida for all the debris. I don't know what a city would look like after a nuclear detonation, but it would probably be similar. It will take years to re-build these communities.

I feel fortunate to have a home to return to.
  3. brianwill

brianwill New Member

What do they do with the banged-up boats / yachts, do they have a junkyard for them? I've never seen one (boat reclamation facility) in TX, but we probably don't have the number of boats that sustain damage at one time like they do in FL. The hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast normally lose steam pretty fast when they drive inland.
  4. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Carl,

Hat's off to a true hero! One of the unsung ones who just go out and help when and where it's needed. Thanks also to CTDave for letting us know about it.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The banged up boats that are insured are generally turned over to companies that specialize in auctioning paid-off/damaged boats. A good friend of mine, Sully, owns one of these companies, US Auctions (formerly known as "Bent Boat").

As for the rest of them, I just saw a segment on television whereby the solid waste authority was giving directions on what must be done to prepare a boat for a landfill, such as depleting any toxic chemicals. If I remember correctly, it was pretty cheap to dispose of a boat, somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 for an average size trailer boat.

For the remainder of the boats left in Charley's wake... the vultures are already circling. Hate to admit it, but it crossed my mind too. I could use a pair of slightly wind-whipped Optimax's! :D

Oh... and thank you for the kind remarks. :)