Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Has anyone come across clay bar before?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Shineman, Jun 30, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Shineman

Shineman Guest

Has anyone on here heard of clay bar before in the paint industry its for removing overspray damage,for i have a vessel at the moment with overspray on the deck and was wondering if anyone had used Clay bar to remove it on Awlgrip before.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Never used it on Awl Grip, but my father swears by the stuff on his cars. A few hours with the clay and the paint comes out looking better and feeling smoother than when it was brand new. He generally does his summer car twice a year with it.
  3. Shineman

Shineman Guest

Thanks Kevin can you ask around to see if anyone has used it on Awlgrip please many thanks.;)
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Don't really know any yachtsmen up this way. I'm sure someone on here's had some Awl Grip experience with clay before though.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Mr. Awlgrip

That guy is Joe Purtell. Since Azko Nobel swallowed up Interlux, International Paints (Awlgrip), et.al., Joe still works for them, I believe, and he is your yacht paint expert, IMHO.
  6. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I have used clay bar on both my car and my sailboat when I had the boat.

It is a very good product providing you buy a high quality clay bar.

The secret is keeping it moist with a quick detail spray, use a decent size chunk, fold it over and back over again on itself often to keep the area that is in contact with the paint fresh.

If you drop the piece you are working with on the ground or on a dirty deck the piece is worthless and must be trashed, Get a fresh chunk and continue on.

The best way to detect smoothness is to put your hand in a plastic baggie prior to starting to clay, run it over the paint, then repeat that once you have clayed the surface and you will notice how smooth the surface is now.

I have only removed light overspray on my Lotus when I first got the car, it took alot of elbow grease, I don't know how well it works on the Awlgrip overspray though.

I can send you a link to a couple of internet detail companies that I have bought product from if you having trouble finding what you need, they are also very helpful for instructions and product information if you call or email them
  7. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

I use it all the time. Works great on windows.
  8. Shineman

Shineman Guest

What on your yacht-boat on Awlgrip?
  9. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Yep, works great on that as well.
  10. Shineman

Shineman Guest

Thats great to know thanks buddy:)