Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

Hard or Ablative Bottom Paint?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NYboater, Jun 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYboater

NYboater New Member

I am building a boat in Europe and having it delivered to the USA. It will have IPS drives, cruise at 30 Knots and do 37 Knots WOT. My plan is to keep it in the Northeast in the summer, Florida the spring and fall, and the Caribbean in the winter. Looking for some personal experience as to the best bottom paint solution. The builder recommends Interlux Ultra EU (Hard) and my USA based boat manager recommends Interlux Micron 99 (ablative).
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hard is by far more effective at limiting growth and lasting longer than ablative. Interlux ultra is excellent hard paint and I have one boat in South Florida that goes 3 years between bottom jobs and is still very effective.

Micron grows algae and barnacles the first month after you launch it. If you insist on ablative go with Seahawk cu-kote. You can always put ablative directly over hard if you don't like the hard, but you can never put hard over ablative paint.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Hard. I've never had ablative and not planning on changing. Interlux Ultra is a good choice I think. It's personal choices but we've had excellent service out of hard. Now, we do maintain it very diligently with bottom cleaning monthly and as frequent as every three weeks during the summer. No hard scrubbing required.
  4. NYboater

NYboater New Member

Capt. J and OB, thank you for your input. I am leaning towards hard, but I understand that Viking yacht prefer ablative on their SF's. Why since they run 40+ knots?
  5. olderboater

Prefer where....there isn't a best universally. That's where I think they go wrong. We talk to people who talk about cleaning the bottoms of their boats once a year and finding very little to clean (some in the PNW), we clean a dozen times a year. They say Prop Speed is unnecessary. We find it a tremendous help. Use, frequency and time of haulouts, many other things come into play as well. We have a routine that works well for us, where we are.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

There was a recent test of 20 paints in 13 different locations in the UK. From brackish muddy creeks to ice cool lochs. The winning paint is the main one we've been using for years, Seajet.

Seajet 033 Shogun is a hard paint we put on boats even up to 70knts and have never had a problem with it, even in our heavy fouling area. For a white finish, we use Seajet 034 Emperor, as it contains no copper it doesn't discolour and go bluey-green like others.

I think they are looking for a decent US importer at the moment.

http://www.seajetpaint.com/en/products/antifouling/seajet-033-shogun/
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  7. olderboater

Dave. You linked to your file instead of uploading it. We can't reach your personal computer or, if we are capable, I don't really think you want us doing to.
  8. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I have a client ready for a new bottom job and he has been researching Hempel. I have been copied on the correspondence and they seem to have excellent customer support.

Any Hempel users? Note, the "el" - I am not asking about your personal life. :D

Judy
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Oops. Hope a Mod can delete that. Thanks for pointing out my utter uselessness with PDFs. Hateful things, can't get on with them, they disappear into mystery files. o_O
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

My boat cruises 30 tops out 36 50' Ablative is my choice. No buildup of annual coats to be reckoned with. I put one coat on every two years and use the boat about 100 hours per year here in NY Nice clean smooth bottom. Going on 17 years now.
  11. olderboater

Click on "Upload a File" and it will allow you to upload the PDF as you intended.