Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Happy to Join the Club

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by RoamingFlaCpl, Mar 26, 2006.

1. RoamingFlaCpl

RoamingFlaCpl New Member

Within just the last week we have joined the Roamers Club! We have purchased a 46', three cabin layout, deisel, aluminum hulled vessel. It appears to be a wonderful boat in wonderful condition. My question is, what type of seas can we expect to safely handle? Is this boat safe to take on open water trips such as from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini or Tampa to Key West? Thanks
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Ocean-Going?

Its a good hull form - but not maximized for open ocean conditions (10 degrees of deadrise at max). Diesels help - but the overall condition of your running gear/mechanical situation will determine your life expectancy at sea.
    Cant really say from here - recommend getting a yacht survey/review from a good boat mechanic BEFORE setting out to sea.
    That and any good powerboating course you havent yet taken.
    Bottomline: Mother Nature bats last! :eek:
  3. byrsch1949

byrsch1949 New Member

Welcome aboard and hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your Roamer. I have had mine in some rough weather today here on the bay and she handle very well. Not sure I would venture onto the open ocean with her. Of course that depends on your experience and the condition of your boat as Mr. Redman stated above.

Mine has Caterpillar 3208 diesels in her and I love them. Haven't operated one with gas so I can not compare a diesle powered to gas powered but I personally think diesel is a lot safer.
  4. Yana

Yana New Member

pictures! pictures! Welcome aboard!
  5. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Data, must have data...

Don't forget your hull # - we're keeping records of all "Known Survivors". :rolleyes:
    Cheers!
    Eric
  6. A trip to Bimini from Fort Lauderdale means crossing the Gulfstream and the Gulfstream deserves respect. If the wind is from any northerly direction , wait for better weather, and you should have a more comfortable cruise.

I have been accross the stream many times without problems, one time on a boat as small as 26 feet. I have also waited for better weather on boats over 100'.

It is only 48 miles to Bimini from Fort Lauderdale so it is a short cruise. I was there April 1st and a dredge was digging the channel into the harbor making the entrance easier then ever.

Tucker Fallon Yacht Broker Fort Lauderdale